Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Sharing experience of LKQ rear end

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sharing experience of LKQ rear end

I know the company isn’t a sponsor or anything but I thought I would vent as well as help anyone else that may ever be silly enough to do what I have done.

I bought my car from the dealership I work at. At the moment the guy traded it. 4-19-11. 2002 SOM WS-6 with 74k.. I got it for 10k so no matter where this story goes it was still a great deal!!

The day after I bought it I decided to play with it a little. It only put down one black mark... odd.. I tried again... same result.. I took it over to the pre-owned manager and had him drive it with me in the passenger side and again, same result.

We pulled the cover and there is was, an open rear from a 98 V6 Camaro.. Even said it on the axle tube in chalk.. Working for the dealership they agreed that it wasn’t right and that they would put another rear end in it.. They called up LKQ and ordered a remanufactured rear end with a 1 year warranty for $903 before a $100 core charge. I even got to upgrade to 3.42's instead of the factory 3.23's. I put it in and it lasted about 2 days before the pinion started screaming.. Took it out and no questions asked they sent me a 2nd rear end. Took it off the lift and test drove it, it wasn’t screaming loud but it was too loud to be correctly done. We call them up and they send an 3rd party inspector to look at it. He said it was all wrong from the backlash to the pinion depth. I told LKQ that this time I didn’t want one of their units and the only way I would be happy is if the local GM dealer could set it up properly. They refused and sent a 3rd rear end!!! I put it in and it was QUIET!! Finally!! I spoke too soon though as it started making the same scream a few days later.. It's so loud that trying to limp it home on the interstate at 65mph I could hardly talk to my passenger.. I will not be getting another one of their units, instead I am trying to find a used 10 bolt to put under the car until we can send all 3 of their units back to them and get the $903 bucks back.. The $903 will be put away until I can gather another 1200-1500 for a 9"... Moral of story, don’t buy such a complex part from LKQ, the guys assembling them have NO idea what they are doing
Old 06-02-2011, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, good read man. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but it happens to everybody. A lot of people out there that should not be let near a wrench.

Quick Reply: Sharing experience of LKQ rear end