Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Strange Alternator code..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Strange Alternator code..?

So my alternator just went out about a week ago (oil soaked). I replaced it with a reman'd one from a local part store, and it now works fine, charges fine, all that. Today the service engine light started flashing, so I checked the code, and it was "Generator L Terminal Circuit" (or something like that, I don't remember exactly word for word). Anybody know anything about it? Like I said, the alternator seems to be working fine, the code hasn't came back on since I cleared it.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably was P1637 from the old unit (history code), if the alt is working fine and code doesn't come back don't worry about it. You can look up the description/diagnostics at gearchatter.com for your year if it does. Maybe the red exciter wire connection at the alt just needs cleaning cause it was oil/power steering fluid soaked? Could also be the reman alt, friends of mine haven't had much luck with them from parts stores. A flashing SES is a misfire, something else could be going on. I'd drive it moderately and see if the MIL comes on again.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

ok well I thought flashing was misfire also, but it happened while my tuner was in the car with his laptop hooked up, and the only code it showed was that alternator code. He cleared it, and a little later, it began flashing again, and again it read that alternator code. So, idk. The car has a cam, which he said could cause that misfire code, but the misfire code never showed up.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

not to sound stupid are you sure you are reading the code right or looking it up off the right table
Old 06-05-2011, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Idk man I'm not the one that physically read it. My tuner was in the car with his laptop connected (as stated above) and read the code. He cleared it, the light came on again, I said "hey its on again, what code is it showin?" he said "that alternator code..." the one I mentioned above. I guess he read the right one. Idk. But it hasn't been on since, so I'm kinda just forgettin about it.