Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric fan and Hi Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric fan and Hi Idle

I have a 63 corvette with an LS 1 engine. The electric fan is not working, No power back to the firewall where it goes thru. Does it go thru a relay or a fused power source? Can I just abandon this wire and go directly to a hot on the fuse box and install another sensor somewhere? Where is the stock sensor normally located? Also does the computer normally operate the hi idle and where does it sense temp?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The temp sensor is in the pass side head at the rear. The fans are run thru relays, and controlled by the pcm...Unless the pcm is set up differently.
Idle may be raised due to engine being hot..PCM function.
Did the fan[s] ever work?
What harness and pcm do you have?

You need a scan to see what is being commanded and a tune d/l to see how the fans are configured.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
The temp sensor is in the pass side head at the rear. The fans are run thru relays, and controlled by the pcm...Unless the pcm is set up differently.
Idle may be raised due to engine being hot..PCM function.
Did the fan[s] ever work?
What harness and pcm do you have?

You need a scan to see what is being commanded and a tune d/l to see how the fans are configured.
I just bought this car and am not really sure about it. I noticed the fan wasn't working so I ran a wire from the battery and it does run. I also noticed the wire loom around the wire was nearly melted but the wire is not. I also noticed the wire at the back of the engine near the firewall run to what looks like a thermo sensor was disconnected. The engine runs at hi idle as soon as you start it and never slows down. There must be a temp sensor that runs thru the pcm to tell the engine to come off hi idle. I checked the throttle cable and disconnected it and still hi idles. THe engine was the first produced that wasn't slated o go in a car, I;m thinking 2000, the pcm I believe from the same era. Is there any ID #'s that will help?