Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warped flexplate, aftermarket replacement ops?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default warped flexplate, aftermarket replacement ops?

Hey guys,

I was getting this crazy rattling sound at idle. I pulled the inspection plate off and noticed that the stock flexplate is warped roughly 0.5 to 1" and the metal has a lot of stress marks. I was wondering what some of you guys run for aftermarket SFI approved flexplates? I don't need anything crazy as all i have is headers and a yank 3600 converter. What are some stock replacements that won't warp lol. I'm definitely not buying an oem one.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I recently replaced my stock flexplate with an SFI one from Hughes. It was around $150, and the part number is HP4004x or something like that. I am satisfied with it so far, and it was the least expensive SFI one I found. Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Launching!

I was looking at that as well.. the problem I have with that one is its another stamped part. I thought since I'm going to be in there I might as well upgrade to a machined one and never have to worry or touch it again.. but thx for your suggestion. Idk, maybe machined is overkill for a dd?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Probably is overkill, but I understand on wanting to make it as strong as possible. SFI means, IIRC, that it has to meet certain standards for the part. Here is some more information about it http://www.sfifoundation.com/.

Unless you want to spend a few hundred dollars on a machined aluminum flexplate from someplace like Reactor or CSR, the only option for machined steel that I know of is TCI. With the TCI plate, there are other issues. Many run them and will swear by them, but when I was in the market for a FP, I heard something that scared me away from getting a TCI. A trans builder I was talking to told me he put one on a lathe one time to check the runout and it was out of spec--not good for something you are going to be bolting to your crankshaft. He is not the only one to discover that problem, either.

It's up to you. It will depend if the added insurance of a machined SFI flexpate is worth the extra $100-$150 or not. IMO, that money could be better used elsewhere if you aren't planning on racing the car much.

Hope this helps.
Scott
Old 06-06-2011, 03:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

From a DD stand point, the Hughes is fine.

Chris
Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Circle-D
From a DD stand point, the Hughes is fine.

Chris
Don't take this the wrong way. Will it be able to stand some spirited driving on the street? I know **** happens but I have no idea how the stock flexplate warped. I don't even drive it hard.

Is the Hughes flexplate stamped steel, but thicker than stock? Or is it machined steel? Just for comparison sake, what flexplate would be a one step up from the Hughes?

Other than my rattling going away, will I notice any change in driveability with a new flexplate, in terms of performance, etc.?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cnd99hawk
Don't take this the wrong way. Will it be able to stand some spirited driving on the street? I know **** happens but I have no idea how the stock flexplate warped. I don't even drive it hard.

Is the Hughes flexplate stamped steel, but thicker than stock? Or is it machined steel? Just for comparison sake, what flexplate would be a one step up from the Hughes?

Other than my rattling going away, will I notice any change in driveability with a new flexplate, in terms of performance, etc.?

Thanks
We have the Hughes in some fairly serious track cars, and no problems. It is thicker. The TCI or Reactor would be the next step. It is a little heavier, but you will not really notice anything, other than it just works....

Chris

Quick Reply: warped flexplate, aftermarket replacement ops?