Sponsored by:

Shifter Cable Linkage Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Cable Linkage Issue

Trans:4L60E in a 98 Z28-LS6 Build

About to finally drive my 98 rebuilt out of the driveway for the first time in 3yrs but Im having a problem getting the shifter inside lined up with the cable under the car.
I tried adjusting everything with taking the clip out and compressing the spring and stuff but still having a issue. When I take the trans out of park from inside the car I can get through all the gears fine PARK-1ST, its when I try to bring them back up into park I'm having a issue with. Its like the cable isnt grabbing when I try to bring the gears back into park so its staying into first gear but the shifter inside moves freely into park.

I cant understand the whole spring and clip thing either under the car, should it have tension or be loose? Also is the plastic part of the linkage supposed to slide out of the housing attached to the trans when going into 1st, then go back inside when in park?

Sorry i dont have a better way of explaining things because i dont know any of the trans terms lol

Any help is awesome thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Teching In

i think i found out the problem, the plastic piece on the shifter is broken off and it causes the cable to come out of the housing attached to the trans. Has anyone had this problem before? im in need of a easy fix instead of buying a whole new cable assemble because my pockets are empty. Any ideas?

***I attached a pic of whats broken.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Shifter Cable Linkage Issue-l3.jpeg  
Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 PM

Joey which of those arrows point to the break?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Sorry its the red arrow