General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blowing up my turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing up my turn signal

This for the front driver's side. This all started a few days ago. My passenger side was out, so I replaced both, (the driver's side was on it's way out). The next the driver's side was out. So, I replaced this again. The same thing keeps happening. It takes one-two trips of about 15 minutes for it to occur again.

What do you guys think the problem is?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

95% chance you have water in the lenses. They take a beating from road debris and crack easily.

Check for water inside and press your finger on the outside of the lens in different places. (This will expose any cracks.)

The quick fix is to drill a hole in the bottom of the lens so water can weep out while you order replacement lenses.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, if it keeps blowing that quick the socket is toast. Go to your local Autozone & grab a set of new sockets part # 85881, they are about $8 each & come with new gaskets as well. Then take a drill & drill a couple 1/8-1/4" holes close to the socket for moisture to drain from so it wont puddle in the socket.

Even with new lenses you can get some water in there, thank GM for that one. New sockets, drilling holes & dielectric grease are the best fix but best done all at once so everything is fresh & new.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Water isn't the problem.

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
No, if it keeps blowing that quick the socket is toast. Go to your local Autozone & grab a set of new sockets part # 85881, they are about $8 each & come with new gaskets as well. Then take a drill & drill a couple 1/8-1/4" holes close to the socket for moisture to drain from so it wont puddle in the socket.

Even with new lenses you can get some water in there, thank GM for that one. New sockets, drilling holes & dielectric grease are the best fix but best done all at once so everything is fresh & new.
I got new sockets like a month, maybe two months ago. I'm gonna do that the drilling anyways though.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

All you have to do is press on the lenses with your finger. That will expose any cracks.

When my sockets were fishbowls all it took was a single slosh with the turn signals on and it would blow the bulbs.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

It turned out to be my crappy turn signals