Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

SOLVED: Headlights cause dash lights to turn off

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLVED: Headlights cause dash lights to turn off

2000 TA convertible:

The problem started a few days ago, when I turn on my headlights, the dash lights and the radio display slowly dim to nothing (over about 3 seconds); it's not the abrupt "dimming" effect you normally get, it's slower than that and the lights end up being completely off.

Now today, my turn signals stopped working, they basically stay on instead of flashing. I have LEDs, with an LED flasher, which I installed about 5 years ago and never had a lick of trouble. I took the flasher out, and turned the headlights on - same problem. I turned the headlights off and they closed and opened right back up again with the lights on (switch is off)! This last part only happens when the flasher isn't in.

Any clues?

Last edited by WhiteStallion00; 06-12-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Problem solved
Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

On the dash lights, it sounds like you have your interior dimmer on OFF. As for the turn signals swap the turn signal flasher with the hazard flasher and see what happens.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Does the same thing happen when you turn on the parking lights? (Is it related to the "headlights" or just turning the gauge lights on?)

What kind of aftermarket electronics are in the car?

An easy (but not cheap) thing to try would be to switch out the headlight switch module but I'll bet there is a stranger electrical issue going on. It sounds like your flasher is fried, but whatever is going on could just do the next flasher you put in.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Launching!

I've played with the dimmer switch with no change. I can try swapping the hazard flasher out, but I don't expect that to give me much different results as I run LEDs and they don't draw enough current to trip a normal flasher.

It DOES happen when I turn on the parking lights. In fact, when I turn the parking lights on, the following happens:

1. The right hand turn signal indicator (on the dash only, not the lights themselves) illuminates
2. The dash lights don't come on
3. The steering wheel lights come on
4. The odometer slowly dims to less than it should be with the headlights on
5. The radio display shuts off (radio still works)
6. When I toggle the turn signal switch by hand, both the front and rear bulbs work fine
7. Brake lights also work fine.

I have HID fog lights that I installed a few years ago, I've pulled the fuse for those to eliminate that. I also put in aftermarket low beams at the same time (H7 bulbs). No other aftermarket electronics.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Any difference in this behavior when the engine is and is not running?

What kind of aftermarket electrical do you have installed inside the car?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Launching!

No difference if the car is running or not. I pulled the BCM and there were runs underneath the relays that were completely burned up. I tried tracing and replacing the runs with wires, but no luck (now it will only run for about 5 seconds and shuts off, so it's worse).

I'm about to order a used one from Space Coast Motorworks, the PN is the same, but the local Chevy dealer asked me for the last 8 of my VIN and whether or not I had keyless entry before he could narrow the part down, so I'm a bit nervous about whether this is going to work.

1. How do I know if it will work?
2. What will I have to do to get it to match the resistance of my key?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Launching!

OK, so I went to the dealer and got a new BCM (the old one was toast, it actually started dying a couple years ago, when the radio, top and windows stopped working, so I wired around it then; I can undo that now), here are the new symptoms (I listed these in case someone else has the problem, solution is below):

SETUP: New BCM, stock turn signal flasher (LED flasher was toasted), fog lights ON
STATE: Key ON, Headlights off, Right turn signal on

1. Both rear turn signals flash
2. Right front turn signal off
3. Left front turn signal on solid
4. Fog light relay clicking
5. Fog lights do not come on
6. Radio comes on, lights flash opposite the turn signal
7. Steering wheel and dash lights flash opposite turn signal

SOLUTION:

I have tower LEDs in the front (I built custom housings with a clear lens a few years ago when I switched to leds after the stock ones were melting the sockets and housing. It looks pretty cool with the tower bulbs), the right front one was bad. As soon as I pulled it out and replaced it with the factory bulb, all the problems went away except for the dimmer problem. There's a 5A fuse for the IP dimmer, it was blown; replaced that and all is well.

Unfortunately, I had built a custom diamond plate center console with leds inside, so I basically had to pull the whole interior apart to do my troubleshooting; turns out that was a waste

The tower leds have electronics in them, obviously something went awry in there.

Quick Reply: SOLVED: Headlights cause dash lights to turn off