Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

torque arm/ driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default torque arm/ driveshaft question

My drive shaft is hitting the cable under the car. Thus has happened once before because the torque are was not calibrated correctly. Does anyone know how to calibrate it? Are there any advantages to having it aligned?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Huh?

Not calibrated correctly?

Are you talking about how to adjust the Pinion Angle with an adjustable Torque Arm? (Do you have an adjustable torque arm?)

Also, what cable it it hitting? The parking Brake Cables? Are the cables stretched and hanging?

I'm confused on exactly what you're asking here.

Having what aligned? The car? (If so, that only aligns the wheels of the car, this has no effect and a shop won't touch the Torque Arm. Also, the rear axle/wheels of the car can not be aligned unless you have adjustable Lower Control Arms, and an Adjustable Panhard Rod.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes the pinion angle OS what o was talking about, forgot what OT was called. The driveshaft is hitting the part that hold the parking brake cables ...its metal. If I just bend it and don't adjust the pinion angle is that bad, having the pinion angle off?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

The driveshaft shouldn't be hitting anything; if it's hitting the cables then something is seriously wrong, more than just the Pinion Angle.

It is bad to have the pinion angle off. It can destroy the U-joints, cause horrible vibrations, and in the worst cases destroy the Pinion Bearings and Tailshaft bearings.

Do you have an aftermarket adjustable Torque Arm? If not, then you're pinion angle should be fine. If you do, then it should have come with an angle finder and instructions how to set it.

I'm thinking if your driveshaft is hitting something then something else is wrong though; unless your pinion angle is WAY WAY off, but then the car would be almost un-driveable from the vibrations.

Check the rear of the Transmission where the Torque Arm mounts; I'm wondering if either the TA mount is shot, or the Transmission mount is shot and something shifted.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To the OP, don't feel bad. When I first installed my adjustable torque arm, I followed an incorrect adjustment procedure, and had the nose of the diff pointed up instead of down, and on a big bump in the road, my DS rubbed the parking brake cable bracket also.

Check out the torque arm adjusment video on the BMR website, and follow the steps outlined there. You'll be OK after that.....
Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
The driveshaft shouldn't be hitting anything; if it's hitting the cables then something is seriously wrong, more than just the Pinion Angle.

It is bad to have the pinion angle off. It can destroy the U-joints, cause horrible vibrations, and in the worst cases destroy the Pinion Bearings and Tailshaft bearings.

Do you have an aftermarket adjustable Torque Arm? If not, then you're pinion angle should be fine. If you do, then it should have come with an angle finder and instructions how to set it.

I'm thinking if your driveshaft is hitting something then something else is wrong though; unless your pinion angle is WAY WAY off, but then the car would be almost un-driveable from the vibrations.

Check the rear of the Transmission where the Torque Arm mounts; I'm wondering if either the TA mount is shot, or the Transmission mount is shot and something shifted.
Yes I have an adjustable one. This happened when I first put it on. I found out when my driveshaft broke Now I know its vibrating again. It would be way WAY off because I had to take it off to put a clutch in and a new fuel system. The thing it is rubbing holds the cables to the bottom of the car. Im not sure I still have that tool

ill check out the video thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you don't have the tool, they're about $10 at the most.

Watch the video and it'll make sense how to adjust it.