Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronix Fuel Pump install gone horribly wrong...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Racetronix Fuel Pump install gone horribly wrong...

In January I had a performance shop work on my car to install my racetronix fuel pump for my 2002 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L V6 along with a new fuel gauge sending unit and an evap canister so I could pass emissions, see how much fuel I had again, and prepare for my LS1 swap.

Well basically when I got the car back the mechanic told me that he had to modify the fuel bucket to get the thing in there. - the second I got it back, it wouldn't crank on the first try, took 2 or 3 tries to get it running... then it only had half of its original power, no downshifting or nothing... but then it ALSO overheated and ran red line temps and I had white smoke coming out the back of the car... I thought I had blown a head-gasket.

6 months later, turns out they were two different problems. The white smoke came from the a $4 coolant elbow which snapped and spewed coolant all down the side of the engine and to the bottom. The smoke was coming from the bottom of the car... not the exhaust...

Well...The car not running right took a good deal longer to solve as we read good fuel pressure... until suddenly it just died off... turns out pressure was good at idle but would die under a load.

Sent it to another mechanic who works with F-Bodies and they took the racetronix pump out and found it was all clogged up, the pump assembly wasn't properly re-seated, and was just rattling around, the fuel gauge sending unit was destroyed upon re-install (wasting 2 of 3 of my new parts) and the racetronix pump was a waste...

Thing is though... I still want to do an LS1 swap to this car and I don't know what to do about a Fuel Pump and I'm not sure if I'm confident enough to try another racetronix pump after that happened... even if I did, who should I have install it?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why the hell did the mechanic modify the bucket for a racetronix pump? That's the whole point of a racetronix pump, it installs just like factory with no modifications needed to the bucket.
Unless you didn't get the good pump pictured below and got the cheap one.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchase the Racetronics Pump form one of the vendors who sup[port these forums. The pump is a correct direct replacement of the stock pump.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the first mechanic F'ed up the install if it was all apart like that. This thing is a direct drop in. Swapped my own out in 2007 and have put LOTS of miles on the car since. Never had a fuel issue with this racetronix pump (& hotwire kit).
Old 06-15-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
why the hell did the mechanic modify the bucket for a racetronix pump? That's the whole point of a racetronix pump, it installs just like factory with no modifications needed to the bucket.
I have no clue, but that is the pump I received... An F99 Pump $200ish and I was also under the impression that it was a direct drop in... but how did it get clogged up? The Ex-Mechanic said it was my fuel tank and I called B.S. because my old pump would have clogged up as well.

I'm pretty pissed at him, he didn't even re-install my heat shield and I wasted about $1,000 in parts and labor... $500 for the first install.. $500 later to fix what he did - but the guy who's fixing it now doesn't use aftermarket parts and I really need the car running again so I'm going to have to spend even more later to get the job done... sucks...

The problem though is, I dont know who to trust to install it...

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-15-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i purchased mine directly thru Racetronics, it was a very nice quality piece. Very pleased with it. Came with color directions for a step by step install.
Sounds like your Mechanic didnt know what he was doing.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Surely there is someone reputable in your area....ask around on the site and see who is closest to you that does quality work!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
Originally Posted by Colemann
Surely there is someone reputable in your area....ask around on the site and see who is closest to you that does quality work!
Only one reputable I know of around here currently has the car and he's a sponsor from here - just he doesnt wanna mess with aftermarket parts. actually on second thought that reminds me I DO know of someone else...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Edit: I know this may sound sleezy... but if I had caught on that this was the fuel pump when this happened, in January... do you think I could have gotten my money back from the mechanic seeing as though I have every reputable source saying that the fault was on him? Including the mechanic who now has my vehicle running?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I have no clue, but that is the pump I received... An F99 Pump $200ish and I was also under the impression that it was a direct drop in... but how did it get clogged up? The Ex-Mechanic said it was my fuel tank and I called B.S. because my old pump would have clogged up as well.

I'm pretty pissed at him, he didn't even re-install my heat shield and I wasted about $1,000 in parts and labor... $500 for the first install.. $500 later to fix what he did - but the guy who's fixing it now doesn't use aftermarket parts and I really need the car running again so I'm going to have to spend even more later to get the job done... sucks...

The problem though is, I dont know who to trust to install it...
A replacement pump is not $200ish. It is under $150.00. If in fact the pump was contaminated there is a good chance the tank still has debris in it. You will have to drop the tank and clean it out as described in these videos:
http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...f0jxnvabCRpK3L

Just b/c your factory pump had not failed yet does not mean that there are not issues with the cleanliness of your fuel system. This logic is not sound.

If the factory module has been modified you will need to get a replacement.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 06-18-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You got ripped.

This is hands down the easiest pump to install on the market. I don't know how anyone could mess up this install, much less anyone who calls himself a professional mechanic. Mod the bucket!? Is this guy for real?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

I just got mine.....I will just open up the rear....Unscrew the hatch after disconnecting the lines and clearing any debris from the grinding....remove it carefully so as not to damage the seal or float arm etc.....and once its out treat is like the baby jesus and put it together the same way it came apart and drop it in n test it for pressure. yeah cleaning the fuel tank is good and all......but the trap door method is doable if you have two hands and can search these forums and youtube youll be ok. no way id pay $500 for that when you can order a whole new tank with the pump in it from Lonnies for like $750ish
Old 09-10-2013, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone have the install instruction to this kit? I ordered mine from TexasSpeed but no instructions came with it.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DisasterpeaceWS6
Does anyone have the install instruction to this kit? I ordered mine from TexasSpeed but no instructions came with it.
These items are packed with instructions. You can get copies via our support forum.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<

Quick Reply: Racetronix Fuel Pump install gone horribly wrong...