Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bad Vibration after Poly motor/tranny mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Vibration after Poly motor/tranny mounts

I realize these things pick up more driveline noise and vibration but I am certain that mine is not "normal". I have changed the rear end like 4 times in the last month if you look at my posts from the past so chances are the driveshaft is nowhere near being aligned where it was originally in the car. Is it necessary to put it back in exactly where it came out?? Can I simply have the driveshaft balanced and put it back in?? I am trying to not spend any more money on the car this year as I told the girlfriend I am done modding until next spring but I got to get the vibration fixed. It starts to be noticeable around 40 mph and gets a little worse as you climb to 75. It’s never enough that I think it’s going to come apart or anything but it makes the car sounds like hell inside as it vibrates every piece of plastic in the console and such. If I put change in the cup holder it would dance around at 70mph..

So balance driveshaft the first step???
Old 06-15-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

How long have you had the poly mounts? They add vibes everywhere in the rpms and speed really.. They will soften up a little bit over time. I don't have poly motor mounts, but I've had my poly trans mount on for a year, and all of it's initial vibrations are gone.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can try clocking the drive shaft 180* does seem to fix some vibrations. How did you change the motor mounts? IS the exhaust up agaisnt the body anywhere?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

I just did the poly mounts and long tubes on Saturday and its vibrated since. I had the drivers side primary against the K member but has been fixed. I will try rotating the driveshaft 180* as suggested and see if that does anything. I called a driveshaft shop and they said it doesnt matter how its installed. As long as it wasnt dropped or anything it should be balanced.. I just hope this rearend I bought isnt the problem.. I have had enough problems with the rear end to last a lifetime..
Old 06-15-2011, 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD98TA
I just did the poly mounts and long tubes on Saturday and its vibrated since. I had the drivers side primary against the K member but has been fixed. I will try rotating the driveshaft 180* as suggested and see if that does anything. I called a driveshaft shop and they said it doesnt matter how its installed. As long as it wasnt dropped or anything it should be balanced.. I just hope this rearend I bought isnt the problem.. I have had enough problems with the rear end to last a lifetime..
It shouldnt makje a difference but it can. Let us know.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I've also read the driveshaft orientation doesn't matter, but I have had vibes solved before by flipping it.. Definitely give the mounts some time to soften up. It will happen. Most people complain about the vibes and end up taking them off, unknowing that the mount will soften up.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

I'm on here for EXACTLY the same reason!!!

I broke my rubber mount after a few hard launches (stalling it up) at the local 1/8th mile, and replaced it with a poly mount from a big online company and was PISSED when I drove away and it felt like the car was LITERALLY going to shake the windshield out of my car. It has softened up significantly. I had it at the local middle-of-nowhere street races this last weekend, and I noticed that after the first couple good hard runs, the vibrations stopped almost altogether. Stick with it buddy, stall her up and stretch her out a few times, and you'll be rewarded with a smoother driving car.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

I guess tonight I will flip the driveshaft and just beat on the car for a bit and see if they loosen up.. We are taking her to the beach at the end of July and I'd rather not take it with the way it drives right now
Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did your poly mount have a plate that bolted between the mount and the transmission tail housing? If so try removing that plate. I have installed many poly mounts over the years and every car that I installed the "preload plate" on developed a nasty vibration. Once I removed that plate the vibs were much more reasonable.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

I did not use the plate.. I am going to rotate the driveshaft 180* and drive it for a while to see if the poly breaks in.. if it doesnt I will just go back to rubber
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like you've got an Energy Suspension mount, I've heard they are way more harsh than the Prothane. I use Prothane everything and love it..

You will need to give it a few weeks to a month to break in. Don't give up early.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

One thing, for those that had the mount and after a few hard launches it got better, that is because you bent the internal safety interlock and ripped the poly between the pieces of the interlock so that it is much more compliant...

That is my biggest complaint with the poly tranny mounts is that they are far to harsh until you do that... Over time it will happen, but I prefer to bolt something in and not have it drastically change the way I enjoy the car...

I wonder if the Prothane tranny mount is any better than the Energy Suspension one in regards to that???

Quick Reply: Bad Vibration after Poly motor/tranny mounts