General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

VATS! very weird.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VATS! very weird.

So I've been having trouble with my car not wanting to start because of the security light. Sometimes I have to ram tod my key in and out of the lock cylinder to get it to start. And then the car will be fine for a week or two then I'll have to do it again. Anyway, I looked up how to do the VATS by pass with a resistor. I got the right resistor and started to work on the car. I unplugged the connection, and inserted the resistor and held it with my hand and then turned the key and the car started. Awesome right? No....I decided to pull the resistor out, and with the plugged still disconnected, I turned the car over again. The damn thing started with it disconnected. What the hell is goin on?! I thought it wont start with that connection uplugged.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way I can see that happening, is if you didn't turn the ignition all the way to the "off" position before removing the resistor. I bet if you remove the key completely and try to start it with no resistor, VATS will take over. Try cleaning your key-hole and key thoroughly with a degreaser. You'd be surprised how much crap ends up in the key-hole over time, causing the key resistor to not make proper contact.