Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

flywheel dowel

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Default flywheel dowel

These engines use only 6 bolts and no dowel. Although every crank and flywheel Ive seen does have a drilling for what looks to be a large dowel.

Has anyone bothered to install one ? Certainly cant do any harm ? Although cant say Ive had a problem despite the lack of fixings
Old 06-18-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That extra hole is to index the flywheel to the crankshaft, and yes putting a dowel pin there can do harm, it will mess with the balance of the flywheel and the engine and you will have vibration that might or might not be noticeable, but in the long run it will ruin the main bearings and crank, unless you install the dowel and then get the crank and flywheel balanced together.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt even worry about it. the flywheel-crank bolts align the flywheel to the crank, and every car ive done a clutch on never had a dowel, without issue.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
I wouldnt even worry about it. the flywheel-crank bolts align the flywheel to the crank, and every car ive done a clutch on never had a dowel, without issue.
Many engines do not. But virtually every other engine I work on either has more bolts, better spec bolts, or both of those and a dowel.

The fact an LS has only 6 bolts, and not even proper high tensile is quite surprising. Especially given the abuse they can take.

I cant actually think of any other engine Ive seen with the same number or less bolts. Usually there are at least 8 bolts
Old 06-19-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Well think of the massive rear slick on a top fuel dragster and that wheel is held on by 5 studs and 5 nuts and the rotational forces put on those studs by that engine and those slicks, and if that is strong enough to stay put I am pretty sure that flywheel aint going nowhere due to bolt failure.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lizeec
Well think of the massive rear slick on a top fuel dragster and that wheel is held on by 5 studs and 5 nuts and the rotational forces put on those studs by that engine and those slicks, and if that is strong enough to stay put I am pretty sure that flywheel aint going nowhere due to bolt failure.
Interesting comparison.

But even my crappy old diesel Volvo uses 9 high tensile bolts and makes no power whatsoever.

Sierra Cosworth 2 litre turbo high tensile 10 bolts.

Subaru uses 8 high tensile bolts.

It just seems odd that a large V8 uses so few, and of relatively low quality.

Quick Reply: flywheel dowel