Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Anyone ever used a lsx main cap gridle? Is it a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever used a lsx main cap gridle? Is it a waste of money?

(I dont know if im breaking any rules as the company that makes these arent a sponsor but im just wondering if the general idea is good)

For the people that dont know its a .200 inch think steel plate that lays flat on top of the main caps and has all the main cap studs go threw it and bolt down all together. The first thing i thought of was how honda engines have a gridle type setup, kinda like how all the mains caps are one piece. So would these sorta help the caps from walking? I think it would, also on a aluminum block it would strenghten it up i would think. But now what i dont like the plate is between the cap and the nut. Now being steel wouldnt it not expand like the caps would and evantually make the nuts loose?

I like the idea alot, but theres some things i dont really like.
and if it wasnt so expensive i would try or if anyone had some feedback on other styles.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

FWIW, I am running that exact same girdle on my LS2 based engine, mine is made out of stainless. I haven't had a lick of problems with it, and I push my stuff pretty hard for what it is. Running a D1SC, on a built bottom end. I do think that running billet caps with dowels would have probably been just as effective.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is trying to prove you avoided a disaster. I bought one because I run the **** out of everything. I'm happy with the peace of mind I purchased.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:32 AM
drz
On The Tree

Watch out, the girdle material really needs to match the thermal expansion characteristics of the block. A steel girdle on an aluminum block will pinch (lean) the #1,2,4,5 main caps as the block expands. Seen this first hand in an aluminum ls1 - massive taper wear to the bearings and fretting on the side-bolt surfaces.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever used a lsx main cap gridle? Is it a waste of money?