Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My diff is F%&$@d!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My diff is F%&$@d!!!!

Like the title says.....i was driving home from work today when i hit the gas and i heard two terrible clunking noises coming from the rear end and the car lurched a little. Then i turned a corner and i heard the noises again and if felt like the car jerked sideways. I am gonna pull the cover off tomorrow at work (i work at a shop) and see how many metal chunks i pull out. My question is, how much should i expect to spend on either rebuilding or buying a new differential? I would like to upgrade it while im at it, since i have to replace it anyways.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in a similar situation. Rebuilding is cheapest, but the worst investment(unless you are tight on cash). Upgrading will be better in the long run, but much more expensive. 12 bolts can be had for less than a 9 inch, but are still going to have some issues when launched hard. Most 9 inch packages are $2600+ but you get most everything you need to just bolt it in. Myself, I looked around Brutespeed and they have some nice packages. This package caught my eye, and I am leaning towards purchasing it, but I have not been researching my options for very long.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I definitely dont have 2600+ to spend right now....looks like ill have to rebuild it even tho ill probably break it again....****. Oh well its my DD so i need to drive it every day
Old 06-23-2011, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can totally understand, I'm fortunate to have a daily driver. Let me know if you need to replace the gears. I have a set from a 96, 3.42's with 120k on them, no whine or chips. They are just sitting here so if you pay shipping they're yours.