General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

STILL having weird idle problem with my trans am!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STILL having weird idle problem with my trans am!!

my 97 trans am still is having a problem staying at idle.. i drive probably about half a mile and it starts to kind of "sputter" and it just gets worse. It wont jump up in idle it just kinda gives away a little and goes down a bit. I have replaced the IAC, did the pvc hose delete, and i checked for a vacuum leak with carb cleaner and nothing showed up. PLEASE HELP!!

p.s i recently had new plugs and wires put in by my local shop
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Does the SES light flash? This is an LT1 correct? Im willing to bet my money on a faulty TPS. Its causing the car to misfire. It might not be bad enough to make the SES light start flashing, but if you have done everything else, I bet you that is the culprit.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tspoon8
my 97 trans am still is having a problem staying at idle.. i drive probably about half a mile and it starts to kind of "sputter" and it just gets worse. It wont jump up in idle it just kinda gives away a little and goes down a bit. I have replaced the IAC, did the pvc hose delete, and i checked for a vacuum leak with carb cleaner and nothing showed up. PLEASE HELP!!

p.s i recently had new plugs and wires put in by my local shop
A vacuum leak only increases rpm, its not that.

I would check to see that all 8 wires that the shop replaced are NOT touching any part of the metal exhaust manifold piping. Or able to bang up against them ever. That causes sputtering after warm up if one is touching, via misfires.

Other than that......a bunch of things can make the rpm's decrease.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by bmartin8
Does the SES light flash? This is an LT1 correct? Im willing to bet my money on a faulty TPS. Its causing the car to misfire. It might not be bad enough to make the SES light start flashing, but if you have done everything else, I bet you that is the culprit.
k im gonna purchase a tps, also would u think a clogged fuel filter will do it?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how many miles on the car?mite need new injectors or try cleaning the current ones.any ses codes?clean out the TB hole the IAC goes into.clean the MAF.change the plugs and fuel filter.get it scanned ,mite be the O2 sensors.