Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 To Cut Or Not To Cut

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 To Cut Or Not To Cut

OK, I've got a question and it's KINDA been answered here. I'm dropping and LS3 and T56 into a 69 Camaro. Or would like to BUT depending on who you ask. Some say "Ya gotta cut and raise the tunnel about 2 inches to get that T56 to fit." While others say you don't. Is there a definative YES or NO to this question? I own a Pace car and DO NOT want hack the tunnel apart to fit a T56. Anyone out there that can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it. ALOT!!! Asked this question on Pro Touring as well.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might have better luck getting answers to that question in the Conversions and Hybrids section.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

Mike
Old 06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know for yours specifically, but if you re-ask this in the other forum, you'll want to know what motor mounts were used and make sure it's LS engine / LS bellhousing & trans. Some mounts have slotted bolt holes too.

A SBC/BBC w/ the "aftermarket" trans. is going to be set further back (except for shifter position) than an LS / LS powertrain. I've seen 60s cars w/ those setups need cut.

I've done other-trans / other-body swaps where the shifter rubbed a bit and it self clearanced a little or w/ a minor ding cleared.

Your answer is probably going to be - mounted fairly far forward and the ears cut off the front adapter plate top corners - doesn't need cut.

And other scenarios further back - needs cut.

Last edited by jmd; 06-24-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm no help on a t56 in a 1st gen. But I have a tremic TKO/3550 5speed in my 67 and it fit great. Has a nice flat top the fits the 1st gen tunnel perfect, I did have the shifter placed for a 1st gen, as that trans has 3 spots. And running a mustang arm Pro5.0. The tunnel was already cut down the side a little for a muncie. The car was 2speed stock, so I dont know how much for the shifter would need work. But the rest of the tunnel it fit right.