Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon sticky faq TYPO?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Monsoon sticky faq TYPO?

I am trying to figure out which wires are the rear sub input for the amp so I can tap them for an aftermarket amp. I have been reading the chart posted in the monsoon faq sticky thread and it lists the output for the rear subs in the firebird coupe section twice but does not reference the input for the subs to the factory amp. Anyone know which is which?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There is no "sub" input to the Monsoon amp. The head unit provides four-channel speaker-level output just like any other Delco radio and the amp uses that as input. Unless you bought an aftermarket amp that accepts speaker-level input, you will need a LOC to convert the signal to pre-amp level for your amp. You will also need a low-pass filter if your amp doesn't handle that.

The output from the factory amp to the subs is listed twice because the subs are dual voice coil so they each have two positives and two negatives.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There is no "sub" input to the Monsoon amp. The head unit provides four-channel speaker-level output just like any other Delco radio and the amp uses that as input. Unless you bought an aftermarket amp that accepts speaker-level input, you will need a LOC to convert the signal to pre-amp level for your amp. You will also need a low-pass filter if your amp doesn't handle that.

The output from the factory amp to the subs is listed twice because the subs are dual voice coil so they each have two positives and two negatives.
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I want to eliminate the sail panel subs only and keep the stockers for the door and rear for now. Which wires would you recommend tapping for the aftermarket amp for the new subs? I have a line converter and my amp has built in crossovers. The amp also has an option for speaker level input but I am going to use an external converter.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I would use the left and right rear input at the Monsoon amp. Personally, I would prefer using the built-in capabilities of the amp for speaker-level input but an external LOC will work as well.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Teching In

I would use the left and right rear input at the Monsoon amp. Personally, I would prefer using the built-in capabilities of the amp for speaker-level input but an external LOC will work as well.
OK last question. If I use the left and right rear input will I still be able to keep my rear speakers functional? If so do I just tap those wires and leave them connected to the stock amp? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

If you just tap into the input signal wires but leave them connected to the amp you will still have normal rear speaker output.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Teching In

If you just tap into the input signal wires but leave them connected to the amp you will still have normal rear speaker output.
Thanks! I really appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: Monsoon sticky faq TYPO?