Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radar meanings

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar meanings

I just got a brand new radar detector off craigslist and it is a cobra xrs 878 and has x k ka V s and than range 1-8. I can't find on the internet what they mean in a good way. I am asking if somebody can tell me it simply. Like k means there is a cop just riding around. And ka means there is a cop down the street looking for speeders. What does the range 1-8 mean and what do those other meanings mean?!?!? Thanks!!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Banned

No, I believe those represent radar types that it is detecting. Not positional meanings or anything like that. You'll sometimes hear 'band'... K band, X band, for 'bandwidth', something to do with it's position in the overall electromagnetic bandwith, like x-band I think means extended bandwith. That's about all I know...
Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

The one to eight number meanings are a scale of how close he is. If it's saying one then he could be a mile away. If it's in eight he might be right on your ***
Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Banned

Found this:

http://www.radarbusters.com/howwetestarticle.cfm

According to these guys, x-band is old tech, not in use by most police anymore. K-band is newer, used by the majority of police, and ka-band is newest, used by a moderate but growing percentage of police.

Quick Reply: Radar meanings