Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam install for 05 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam install for 05 GTO

My friend bought a decent sized cam with all the supporting mods to go with it for his goat and doesn't have the money to pay a performance shop 1500 to install and tune it. He wants to intall it himself but he has never done any kind of major work himself and has little experience when it comes to this. Is it possible for a beginner to put a cam in themselves? If we do end up doing this, can some people shed some light with tips and advice on how to go about doing the install and share some of your own experiences putting in a cam yourself of any problems we will likely run into. Also if theres a write up or video to install a cam for a gto or ls2 that would really help. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go over to ls1 gto . com

they will have all the data about the proper way to install a new cam.

I actually have a 06 GTO and I did heads, cam and full exhaust in a weekend myself in a friends garage just taking my time and being organized.

It can seem intimidating, but honestly its more tedious at times, not hard.

Good luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out ls1howto.com, it has step by step detailed instructions on how to do a cam swap on and ls1. Should very 95% similar to the gto anyway.

But given that you guys are beginners, I would not attempt this. There are so many things that can go wrong, and if they do well you could either screw up your engine or not make all the power you should.

I suggest saving some more money and shopping around for other install quotes. That's seems awfully high for just the labor. Or ask for help in the local forums as apposed to doing it purely by yourselves.

Quick Reply: Cam install for 05 GTO