New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Motor out of car for upgrades, etc

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb LS1 Motor out of car for upgrades, etc

First-time post, been lurking for a few months. I've poked around looking for similar threads without much luck, so....

I bought a LS1/T-56 out of a 99 TA with allegedly about 80,000 miles.
I will be installing it in a '64 Chevelle SS before the end of the year.
Right now the motor is on a stand in my garage.

My questions are as follows:

1. What are some things I should upgrade while the motor is out, in order to prevent issues down the road. (i.e, oil pump seems to be a known issue?)

2. Keeping in mind my tight budget and priority to get the vehicle on the road, is it recommended I pull the top-end, (intake, heads, etc.) just to look things over. If so, do/should I replace head gaskets?

Thanks for any and all responses in advance!

Last edited by agwrangler2001; 06-30-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

I would replace the oil pump with a ported ls6 oil pump. This is the most popular way to go and yeilds awesome oil pressure. My car sits just over 60psi at idle and almost pegs the gauge at WOT. And this is with 5w30 full synthetic not some heavy weight. I would also pull off the top end to inspect/clean everything to prevent future problems. Some people wouldn't would say not to replace the head gaskets but I would just for the fact of increased longevity.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My questions are as follows:

1. What are some things I should upgrade while the motor is out, in order to prevent issues down the road. (i.e, oil pump seems to be a known issue?)

Bearings (cam, main, rods), rod bolt upgrade, ported LS6 pump, new springs and hardened push rods (look for a good cam kit), water pump and other basics. Depends really on how crazy you want to get.

2. Keeping in mind my tight budget and priority to get the vehicle on the road, is it recommended I pull the top-end, (intake, heads, etc.) just to look things over. If so, do/should I replace head gaskets?

Look things over but wearable parts like springs and bearings may need replacement. Much of that has to deal with how the engine was maintained in it's previous exsistance. Gaskets wont hurt to do but remember head bolts are torque to yield and CANNOT be reused. Just look at a ARP stud kit since you will have the room. Bolt holes needs but ULTRA clean or you will crack the block.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do what is mentioned above ,and also install some kalteck rod bolts.get some new valve train parts,springs,timing chain,trunnion bearings.get new push rods if you get a new cam.maybe replace the lifters if the motor looks dirty inside.go to TSP for gaskets and the parts listed above.see if you can fit a cam pkg into your budget.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

What are your plans for the car? Just a nice DD? or are you going to make it a drag car? If its just a DD I would just drop it in and enjoy it. There are several people who have these cars with 150,000+ miles and there fine. And with dropping it in a chevelle it wont be hard to change stuff since those have plenty or room to work on it
Old 06-30-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
What are your plans for the car? Just a nice DD? or are you going to make it a drag car? If its just a DD I would just drop it in and enjoy it. There are several people who have these cars with 150,000+ miles and there fine. And with dropping it in a chevelle it wont be hard to change stuff since those have plenty or room to work on it
Definitely will be a DD, but it needs to have some power when it is all said and done. I really want to focus on getting the drivetrain in the car and running, but it is so tempting to tear into things while it is out and easily accessible!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

id go with ARP rod bolts.