Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front main seal questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front main seal questions

Problems searching old threads for answers. I need to replace my front main seal, and im trying to figure out what all im going to need, obviously a new front main seal...I was told by a friend I need a pulley puller..and he mentioned an "extended bolt" not sure why or what that is for. Im assuming im going to have to take off the timing cover/water pump? Should I replace those gaskets as well?

Kinda just looking for a step-by-step and exactly what parts are needed for the front main seal job. Thanks guys!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:17 PM

I used a 3 jaw pull to pull my balancer, and a old bolt to protect the threads in the crank, and a timing cover gasket set. (Includes front seal, waterpump,timing cover andoil pump gaskets)
Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my rear seal, when I was working on my tranny.

I plan to do the front the same way.

I bought a used cover (eBay $15-40) , and seal.
I replaced the seal on the cover at my own convenience. Nothing worse than breaking something and the car being down.

I'd get new water pump gaskets, front cover gasket, crank seal.

Depending on your mileage, time to get an LS2 timing chain since you are already in there. (that's what I'm going to do)

You are supposed to replace the crank bolt with a new torque stretch GM bolt ($7-15) or buy a reusable ARP crank bolt (more $$$).

I bought threaded rod the same size as the crank bolt and use it as a "puller" to put the pulley back on. I believe the ARP bolt is longer than the oem/stretch bolt.

I guess people have ruined their crank threads trying to pull on the pulley with the stock bolt.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

why would you pull the cover??I have done the front and rear seals and never pulled the cover.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I just did my rear seal, when I was working on my tranny.

I plan to do the front the same way.

I bought a used cover (eBay $15-40) , and seal.
I replaced the seal on the cover at my own convenience. Nothing worse than breaking something and the car being down.

I'd get new water pump gaskets, front cover gasket, crank seal.

Depending on your mileage, time to get an LS2 timing chain since you are already in there. (that's what I'm going to do)

You are supposed to replace the crank bolt with a new torque stretch GM bolt ($7-15) or buy a reusable ARP crank bolt (more $$$).

I bought threaded rod the same size as the crank bolt and use it as a "puller" to put the pulley back on. I believe the ARP bolt is longer than the oem/stretch bolt.

I guess people have ruined their crank threads trying to pull on the pulley with the stock bolt.
thanks man, I bought the fel-pro timing cover gasket set, has all the seals I could need...okay im tracking on getting a new crankshaft pulley bolt...but the extra threaded rod/bolt for the pulley? Not sure where thats coming into play..sorry this is my first time pulling off a pulley
Old 07-01-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by whiteNrude01
thanks man, I bought the fel-pro timing cover gasket set, has all the seals I could need...okay im tracking on getting a new crankshaft pulley bolt...but the extra threaded rod/bolt for the pulley? Not sure where thats coming into play..sorry this is my first time pulling off a pulley

I don't know if you actually need it. I've just read horror stories of guys messing up their threads. I bought the threaded rod to make my own install tool when I was building my 396, because I didn't want to damage my Lunati crank.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KRAZY K 2000 TA
why would you pull the cover??I have done the front and rear seals and never pulled the cover.
That's good to know.

For me, the rear cover was easier to swap out when I was pressed for time swapping out the tranny.

Quick Reply: front main seal questions