Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock cam + nitrous: Which heads will benefit me more?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Stock cam + nitrous: Which heads will benefit me more?

I was kind of torn on where to post this but you guys here seem to really know your stuff. I'm planning on keeping the stock cam and adding some better budget heads. Right now I'm stuck between the stock or lightly ported 243/799s and a set of 5.3 heads like the PRCs.

Here's my real quetion: With a STOCK cam and a 150 shot (55N), will I gain more on nitrous from the the extra flow of the 243s, or would it be better to have the added compression of the 5.3s?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
I was kind of torn on where to post this but you guys here seem to really know your stuff. I'm planning on keeping the stock cam and adding some better budget heads. Right now I'm stuck between the stock or lightly ported 243/799s and a set of 5.3 heads like the PRCs.

Here's my real quetion: With a STOCK cam and a 150 shot (55N), will I gain more on nitrous from the the extra flow of the 243s, or would it be better to have the added compression of the 5.3s?
What are the future goals of the car and combination? I would really pick NA wise and budget wise what you want. I do not think you will see much difference in the power on the spray as far as gains are concerned.

This is my opinion of course.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PRC 5.3 flow better than stock 243s get them milled to 59cc and use 0.040" head gaskets for the added compression ..

But the question is .. want you don't want to do a cam swap ?? Stealth setup ???
Old 07-03-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Primarily stealth. I'm shooting for a sleeper that runs high 6s in the 1/8th that sounds like it has nothing more than a catback. But also for gas milage, driveability, tunability, and cost. If I ever swap out the cam I'd do it right and change out the rod bolts, lifters, springs, pushrods, oil pump etc. Price for price the head swap fits my goals and budget better than a cam swap.