General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

5.3L Damaged in Front End Collision

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L Damaged in Front End Collision

I am new to the LSX style engines, but may be able to get a deal on al 5.3L out of a 2003 Tahoe with heavy damage to the front end. It looks like it hit a telephone pole at high speed. From what I can tell it pulled the rubber engine mount apart on the driver side and pushed it over to the passenger side. The wreck also pushed the front crossmember into the oil pan and cracked it in several places. The front accessory drive system is also busted in several places.
My question is to those with more experience, what areas should I look closely at for damage? Are there any specific areas I should check for cracks as a result of the collision? Any help/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank You
Old 07-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by road rocket
I am new to the LSX style engines, but may be able to get a deal on al 5.3L out of a 2003 Tahoe with heavy damage to the front end. It looks like it hit a telephone pole at high speed. From what I can tell it pulled the rubber engine mount apart on the driver side and pushed it over to the passenger side. The wreck also pushed the front crossmember into the oil pan and cracked it in several places. The front accessory drive system is also busted in several places.
My question is to those with more experience, what areas should I look closely at for damage? Are there any specific areas I should check for cracks as a result of the collision? Any help/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank You
unless it's free i wouldn't touch it. think about it, that engine was running, and was slammed into whatever hit it and most likely died on impact, its likely to have internal damage. you probably cant even start in as it sits, as you already said it's busted up pretty good. aint no telling whats wrong with it.

whole engines sell pretty cheap. imo if it's free scrap it.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Agreed