LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Long Extended Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Extended Project

I just wanted to throw up this post as a big thank you to some people. And a sigh of relief for me. My winter time project plans included a TH350 with transgo manual VB kit, BMR crossmember, Hurst Quarter stick, Yank Converter, MSD shift light, trans temp guage, trans cooler, and also to top everything else off.... Bob Bailys LTCC kit.

So as my luck would have it after I installed the Transgo kit and all other trans components, my trans was shot. 3rd gear was pretty much toast. Off to get a fresh build on it. Done. Good to go. Dave at Yank hooked me up with a custom built converter, 9.5'' non lock-up 3600 with 2.5 STR. Thanks to Yank and Dave for awsome customer support and an awsome product! Then I also recieved a miss built crossmember from BMR. So I contacted them. Great customer support and they sent me a new one. So trans and all components in. Winter is over. Car seems good to go.

Next is about a week later. I was less than 200mi into the trans. 5:30am after a 12hr work night..... she dies. Like the ignition was just shut off. Great. Run some test and ICM is dead. Good time to install that LTCC kit that was supposed to be on already. So I order polished alum VC's after finally deciding how I wanted to install my coils. Mount them, wire it all up, and.... nothing. No start. Just crank. Do more testing and LTCC box is not powering up. Contact Bob Baily, maker of LTCC kit. Back and forth emailing leads to dead optical sensor. Yeah less than a year old AIP unit. JUNK JUNK JUNK. Replace that and now it starts. But runs terrible! I scratch my head. I am ready to give up. Oddly I pull the coil harness on the odd bank, reverse the order, Ha! Got it. 2003 5.3 truck coils. Taylor 8mm spiro pro and we are up and running. I will say this, throttle response seems to be very crisp now! Bob Baily has top notch customer support! Thank you to Bob for all the help.

So its out of the garage. Running under its own power. Shift light hidden out of sight. Trans temp guage tucked in a center vent. I wired up my reverse lights to a switch mounted in the old trans perform location. Hid the cut-out switch in the ash tray location. It seemed I had one terrible string of bad luck. But she seems to run great now! Now I only have a few things left. Swapping the rear end out. Going to another 10 bolt but with 3.42 gears (2.73 now), until I blow that up and need to upgrade. And I need to hook it up to tuner cats and retune everything to perfection.

All in all I'm happy with all that was done. I originally boight the car for $1000. So I figured I would build it the way I wanted it. Cant get to far over my head right? Or maybe I am wrong on that. Now I only hope I can get it to a track soon and see how my work pays off. Comments and Opinions welcome!
Attached Thumbnails Long Extended Project-july2011-012.jpg   Long Extended Project-july2011-002.jpg   Long Extended Project-july2011-007.jpg   Long Extended Project-july2011-017.jpg   Long Extended Project-july2011-064.jpg  

Long Extended Project-july2011-094.jpg   Long Extended Project-july2011-101.jpg   Long Extended Project-july2011-119b.jpg   Long Extended Project-july2011-097.jpg   Long Extended Project-july2011-013.jpg  

Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock motor in front of that TH350??
Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For now. Thats in the plans for next winter. Long tubes on and it has an old tune. Plan on complete rebuild and cam for my next project.

Quick Reply: Long Extended Project