Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Relocating head unit and HVAC controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Relocating head unit and HVAC controls

Has anyone relocated the headunit and/or the HVAC controls? I am in the process of putting an LCD screen in place of those two and need to know how you did it; other than just cutting and lengthening the wires. I remember seeing one person who put his HVAC controls in his glove box.

I am wanting to relocate them into a custom box I am building which will be placed in between the two rear seats. I will be routing the wires through the center console and into the box.

I looked inside the dash area and I couldn't see whether the cables behind the HVAC controls are connected directly to the PCM or if they attach to a harness. I looked through the parts manual and I couldn't tell from that either, except for one of the controls. If they are not connected directly to the PCM/BCM or whatever they go to, then I can just cut/lengthen the wires and if needed later on, buy the cables. Unless there is a place that sells the connectors for the cabling then i could just make my own extension.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:34 AM
STF Veteran

Keep in mind that you have a multi colored vacuum line switch for your vent selection. You'll have to lengthen all the vacuum lines to place the HVAC unit in the back. On the other hand, if you put it in the glovebox, the vacuum lines are fed from the passenger side and you will not have to extend anything.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Put them in your center console. It's easy to feed the lines in there.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Its pretty easy to relocate the HVAC to the glove box, as i have done, because all of the vacuum lines and the "cold/hot" cable come from that side of the car. It wouldn't be hard to extend all the wires and vacuum line to the rear seats, but the cable that controls the "cold/hot" ****, im not sure how you would do it, unless you replaced the whole cable with a longer one. Im sure it can be done, i'm just not sure where that cable goes behind the dash. I would be interested in changing mine over to the center console, so if you figure out how to extend that cable let me know. Check my sig for pics of my set up.