General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC blowing hot air. Front end wreck in late February

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AC blowing hot air. Front end wreck in late February

So my AC started to blow hot air yesterday, just in time for the sweltering 95 degree heat and ******* Venus like humidity of an SC summer. I had a petty bad front end collision in February that managed to crack the plastic casing on the side of the radiator (had to replace a lot of the front end panels and the radiator.) However, the AC worked fine right up until now. So I'm guessing I'm dealing with a slow leak as result of the wreck. Or maybe we popped or broke something fighting to get the radiator in on our own (fun fun).

Is there a way to tell if the system is completely empty of freon?

Is there an area of the condenser that is more prone to damage?-this is a guess of where a possible leak might be since I also had tor replace the radiator.

Are the cans of R134a you see at auto parts stores a viable quick fix? If so how many do I need? From what I've read searching, the system needs 1.5 pounds.

Can a shop do a dye test of some sort to determine a leak or is that always a courtesy provided along with the repair? I don't have the money to buy a damn 212$ condenser, let alone have a shop fully repair whatever may be the issue.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone? Even answers to the simple questions?

Quick Reply: AC blowing hot air. Front end wreck in late February