Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New (to me) SS with stereo problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) SS with stereo problems

I just purchased a 2001 Camaro SS with the Monsoon system and 12 disc changer in the trunk. The HU is the tape deck and on the way home from the dealership I found that the cd changer does everything except actually play cds. That kind of defeats the purpose a bit. So, now I have no ability to play cds.

How do I go about troubleshooting the cd changer to confirm that it is scrap metal/plastic?

I read a lot about the iPod jack and may consider that in the future. However, my other problem right now is that the the speaker in the driver's door is shot. What are the best speakers to replace them with? I have used Alpine in the past and have been very happy with them.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest question will probably do you want to replace it with an after market. Cause if it powers up and physically changes between one disc and another. If it is connected to the headunit then i would venture that it maybe messed up and unless you get another one used fixing it may not be worth it.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

From everything that I've read, it sounds like it is junk. As much as I did not want to go with an aftermarket HU it sounds like a stock Monsoon CD player is not really worth the money anyway. So, it looks like I will be chasing down an aftermarket setup.

I'm not exactly sure what I am looking for yet, but I have had Alpine units in the past and have been very happy with them so I'll probably go in that direction again.

Any input is welcome!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Teching In

depending on how large of a system you are wanting to go and how large your audio budget is I would suggest a Pioneer Premier HU: MP3, bluetooth, iPod connections included. Infinity reference component set for the front and coaxial for rear sail, they're great on sound quality and have proved to be the easiest ones ive installed in a fbody to date,they dont require an amp but like most aftermarket speakers they do sound better if given extra power. if you havent already check out this web site: (non-sponsor link removed) . i buy most of my equipment from them.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 07-12-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just want a good sounding, but not too expensive system, most people would agree that just get the HU of your choice (I prefer Kenwood or JVC, not a fan of Sony) keep the stock Monsoon amp and get a speaker set from one of the sponsors on this site. This way will require no rewiring and keep you in the $400 price range if you shop carefully.

For cheap guys like me, I bought my Kenwood with aux in and iPod connection for less than $80, got a pair of Alpine coaxial speakers from a forum member and converted them to component and I'm running the stock sail panel speakers until I can get the complete Kee setup. This set up sounds WAY better than the stock HU and blown stock speakers and I'm still under $200.