Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Cruise Control ... repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control ... repair?

So lately the Cruise control on my 98 T/A has been acting a little strange, it will set and you can let your foot off the accelerator, and it will slowly (1mph for every 10-15 seconds) start to decelerate. If you press the actuator on the multi-function tree that lets you speed up the cruise, it will just sit there. If you press the accelerator pedal in while its in cruise it will speed back up, but then slowly start to go back down again as if the cruise doesn't have the power to pull the throttle open to maintain speed. Whats worse is if you go up a hill (a very mild hill, just a few degrees off horizontal) the cruise will just kick off as if you hit the brake.

I think I got the description of the problem pretty thoroughly in there, but if you need clarification, just post... Is this typical of our system, or do any of you know a quick remedy to my situation?

Any help is much appreciated!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Check the cable for binding. It is most likely a mechanical problem where the cruise control module is unable to properly control the throttle through the cable. If it's not too bad, it can be lubricated just like a speedometer cable otherwise it may have to be replaced.

It is possible that the cruise control module itself is dying (could be the stepper motor inside that moves the cable) but it is more likely the cable.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Check the cable for binding. It is most likely a mechanical problem where the cruise control module is unable to properly control the throttle through the cable. If it's not too bad, it can be lubricated just like a speedometer cable otherwise it may have to be replaced.

It is possible that the cruise control module itself is dying (could be the stepper motor inside that moves the cable) but it is more likely the cable.
Well I shot some Deep Creep in the middle of the two lines that have the plastic piece holding the cable housings together. And It appears to be working fine now, Thanks!