Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Differential Cover Magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Differential Cover Magnet?

I am getting ready to do fluid swap on my 10 bolt and I ordered a new cover while I was at it. I decided to powdercoat the new cover so it wouldnt get all rusty and nasty like the stock one is (Own my own powder coat kit). So after I layed the powder and cured it in the oven I pull the cover out of the oven and the magnet that was on the inside of the cover fell off. It made me wonder about how strong the adhesive was to begin with and would the magnet come off while it was bolted up to the rear and get in all the gears and possibly cause havoc. To cure the powder the oven is cranked to 400* I know our rears should never reach thoes kinds of temps but either way I think I am just going to place a magnet on the outside of the cover to be on the safe side.

Only the 3rd time I have powder coated and first time trying a design so dont be to hard on me
Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

1st time I've ever seen a magnet come off,but probably not surprising with 400 degrees.
I just clean the rust/corrosion off and use POR15 on the outside.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the magnet on the outside of the cover and it wasn't strong enough to attract any debris to the cover. I would say try it before you bolt the cover on to see if it will attract metal filings. I ended up putting 2 bottle cap sized magnets in the machined triangular depression in the bottom of the rear end housing.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the magnet dont stick any more ? they selling the fill plug with magnet, u could try use that.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:55 AM
TECH Regular

This is what my cover looked like after pulling it yesterday. A magnet is a must so I will have to find a way to attach it somehow.

After cleaning it up.

Gears didnt look to bad
Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

was that the 1st time the cover was pulled ? how many miles on the vehicle ?
that's a typical look of the magnet,it's doing its' job. better to have all that iron/steel dust(it just looks like shards because of the 'magnetic lines') attached to the magnet than in the oil. does not mean anything is wearing in an unusual manner. I've seen worse with no ill effects.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
was that the 1st time the cover was pulled ? how many miles on the vehicle ?
that's a typical look of the magnet,it's doing its' job. better to have all that iron/steel dust(it just looks like shards because of the 'magnetic lines') attached to the magnet than in the oil. does not mean anything is wearing in an unusual manner. I've seen worse with no ill effects.
Yeah first time it was pulled. Has 56K on it. Just trying to limp along the 10bolt until I leave Germany and head back to the states (to much $$ to ship a 9" over here) It was low on fluid so I am changing the pinion seal now as well.

Quick Reply: Differential Cover Magnet?