Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

how to clear CL from Hud

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how to clear CL from Hud

99 corvette 6 speed. did some looking around but cant find exactly what i need. column lock came on. had a buddy disengage and turn it off. but it still pops up on the HUD...so unlesss i turn car off and on, off and on it stays poped up. how can i get the message off?

Last edited by mhorn0817; 07-15-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you have the k-harness. Check to see if your car was in for any of the recalls for the column lock.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Staging Lane

gotcha....how do i check to see if its been in for recall, if i dont see a recall sticker? also how would i get it clerar from my HUD?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, if you're having issues with it, you can clear it but it will come right back.

To check to see if you had a column lock recall done, pop your hood and look on the wheel covers. They put a sticker on the wheel covers that has a number (and possibly a letter following the number). I can't recall the number off-hand, but if you have it, you'll see it. The sticker is small; maybe about an inch wide. But it's the recall number.

To clear your codes, you turn your car to the on position, but don't start it. Then make sure that your DIC has no warnings on it (like door open, trunk open, etc). Hit the reset button until you get to your normal DIC message (like fuel or temps) if any warnings are up. Then hold the options button down and at the same time hit fuel 4 times. Continue holding options. You'll see the code system come up on the DIC. Hit fuel one more time to go to manual mode. You can now release the options button. Scroll using buttons 1 and 2 (fuel and trip), and hold reset on the PCM menu if there's any codes.

Once you've cleared the codes, turn the car off. Then turn it back on. If you have any more codes popping up, it's because your car has a "C" current code.

In my opinion, when it comes to the column lock ****, if you've already installed the column lock blocker, it's honestly easier to just pull the negative battery terminal for 10-20 seconds, and then put it back on. But if you're not comfortable doing that, clearing the codes may work.

If you've had the second version of the column lock recall performed on your car, you're in for a bitch of time. You have to by-pass the stupid relay they put in the k-harness. I had to do the same, but I knew what I was looking for so it wasn't so bad.

If I were you, I'd get on corvetteforum.com and read up on some of the write ups for this. There are a lot of them and they're all pretty helpful.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

ok, will any of the resetting effect my current tune? or will that only be effected by a reprogram at the dealer?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, it's just clearing the codes. It will not and cannot effect your tune. Flashing the PCM is the only way to change your tune.

Quick Reply: how to clear CL from Hud