Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

'01 Suburban details?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Suburban details?

I have a couple questions that hopefully knows the answer to in regards to speaker options in a '01 Suburban.

1. I've seen listed online at a few sites that the front and or rear doors accept 6 3/4" speakers. I already purchased 6.5" speakers, will I need to make an adapter? Now the information I got was conflicting... So before tearing into the doors and wanting to put them in, I dont want to hit a roadblock in that I have to make a adapter.

2. I noticed in the rear pillars near the tailgate, some speaker grill openings. These could possibly hold 3.5-4" speakers. is this true? My daughter wanted to listen to her new Hillary Duff CD (I know it's lame) but when sitting in the third row, she couldn't hear all that much, forcing me to turn up the radio and make it look like I was bumping Hillary Duff by myself! Is this really a speaker opening, and what can I fit in there?
Old 03-01-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by unredeemed

1. I've seen listed online at a few sites that the front and or rear doors accept 6 3/4" speakers. I already purchased 6.5" speakers, will I need to make an adapter? Now the information I got was conflicting... So before tearing into the doors and wanting to put them in, I dont want to hit a roadblock in that I have to make a adapter.
6.5 inch speaker will fit no problem. No one sells a 6 3/4 speaker in the US.

Originally Posted by unredeemed

2. I noticed in the rear pillars near the tailgate, some speaker grill openings. These could possibly hold 3.5-4" speakers. is this true? My daughter wanted to listen to her new Hillary Duff CD (I know it's lame) but when sitting in the third row, she couldn't hear all that much, forcing me to turn up the radio and make it look like I was bumping Hillary Duff by myself! Is this really a speaker opening, and what can I fit in there?
There probably is a small speaker back there but your fractory system does not offer a second zone capability. So you cant have two things playing at once. I believe they only thing GM had in some SUVs is they had head phones that could play independitally.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

There are indeed 6 3/4" speakers. Also coined as 6.5S, or oversized 6.5" speakers. A quick search on ebay or crutchfield will give you that. Infact it was crutchfield that is giving me the conflicting info saying that I need 6.75" speakers.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rpeDG9u...&avf=Y&search=

As for question #2, I'm re-working the whole system from the ground up. If it came with a thrid set of speakers in the rear, cool. But since it probably didn't, I'll just run my own cabling and shoehorn in a 3.5"speaker.