Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

DONT BuY THE HURST!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DONT BuY THE HURST!

Let me save some of the new people who are in the market for a short throw. although a lot of people said buy the gmm or billet shifters and not the hurst, i decided to go for it and buy the hurst since it was cheaper(you get what you pay for). well i regret it 100%. the hurst reuses the stock base plate of the shifter and it broke after a week on my car. i did a hard shift into 2nd and the bolts pulled off the plate and brought the thread with it. i will be purchasing the gmm or billet but i havent decided which yet. if anyone has any opinions let me know.
p.s. you can see the pics on the other thread i posted a few days ago
also if someone doesnt want to listen to the advice, i will be selling my hurst. pm if interested, its a week old.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

you should look into the mgw-p. it is a very nice piece for sure
Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I hate to tell people that they bought a lemon but I can only give advise. After 7 years there's a lot of experience with these cars around if you look (or ask). Like I said there was more stuff to break on that Hurst and just like the B&M it should be avoided. I have a GMM race but if I was in the market today I'd get the MGW-p. It's a very nice unit and is a little cheaper.

BTW, don't shift so hard or you'll bend a fork in the tranny or something
Old 07-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

lol thanks for the advice. mgw-p better than the billet and gmm race?

from the looks of it this shifter looks great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEGqUFybsgA
Old 07-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

so from what im reading billet is discontinued so my options are MGW-P and GMM race. i was looking at threads with installs, is it true there is cutting/drilling involved in the MGW-P install? if thats true i dont want to go with that.
where do i buy either shifter?
Old 07-20-2011, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Billet is fine but I don't see that big of a deal in a 1/2" shorter throw or whatever it is. My GMM race throw is 3¾" from 3rd to 4th. I like the fact that there are the fewest number of parts to accomplish the job. The MGW-p is the same type design. A guy named Proxies over on LS1GTO (hence the -p) took the MGW shifter and did the fabbing on it to make it work in our cars. He did an awesome job and I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. Here's a good review on it. All of the good shifters are more work to install but you shouldn't have to drill/cut anything if you don't want to. Some have drilled 2 holes to get at the front 2 bolts on that base plate you have to get it off and it's a bit of a pain to get at them. I did it without it but re-installed some hex head bolts when I put it back together so it's easier if I have to take it off again.

Quick Reply: DONT BuY THE HURST!