Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header questions need answers by sunday

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Header questions need answers by sunday

i have an 01 ss with a borla catback and i have the bbk long tube header (with 2.5'' collector) and y pipe kit. i have no welder however and no shops near me will do the infamous header install on f body cars. id rather do it myself anyway, my question is i noticed the collector on the headers has the exact same fitting as the stock exhaust has comming both off the cats and on the beginning of the stock y, can i for now just install the headers and will it meet up with my stock y pipe in the position its in or will i have to remove the y pipe. i do not have a saws-all for cutting (which is how i got my cat back in)
basically can i do my current plan or is there anyway i can put the headers and y pipe in without the tools mentioned and then drive it over to a muffler guy i know for spot welds. also i noticed the hole for the front o2 sensors is in about the same position as the stock setup, does this mean i will not be needing o2 extensions?
Old 07-23-2011, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What headers do you have in it now? If its stock than the y has to go it will not match up with the new headers. If anything just install the headers, drive over to a shop and have then put up the y and weld or clamp it into place, whichever you decide.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the BBK longtubes, but I didn't need extensions for my Kooks for the front o2s. I used o2 sims for the rear o2s and you'll need those if you're not running cats; you can complete the install with out them though you'll just have a ses light in the mean time.

Stock Y will not work; however I was able to remove it without cutting. Wd40 and extensions are your friend here. The BBK kit should come with clamps so welding shouldn't be required unless you just want to.

Something I ran into on my car was rusted o2 sensors. The ones near the manifold would not come out, they rounded off even after soaking in wd40. The rear o2s came out ok. So you might need a set of those. Autozone's loan a tool has the correct socket to remove o2 sensors as well.

I would recommend a friend to help and a set of gm gaskets, though the bbk supplied ones should work. Also get the car as high off the ground as possible.