Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhuast system installation.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhuast system installation.

How did you guys do it. I've never put on an exhaust system before or even been around when someone did so pardon me if this is a little stupid. I recently just got my hands on a nice set of coated MAC midlengths and the ORY to boot. I'm looking at ordering the TSP rumbler within a month or so. This will take some welding right? So I was just wondering how I should get everything pieced together? Should I put the headers and y-pipe on and drive it ot the place and then have them put the cat-back on? Or just drive my stock ride there and let them handle this. I'm confused on how you handle this business. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Old 03-01-2004, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

don't try to put the system on, unless you are going to do it all yourself. I suggest you find a reputable shop to do your install for you!

you could use clamps if you wanted to do the install yourself, then drive it to have it all welded up.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I don't see any reason why any of that would *have* to be welded up? So long as you have all the proper clamps you should be able to bolt it up yourself. I've done about 10 or more different exhaust systems on my LS1s, and a couple different sets of headers on LS1s. Some are harder than others, but if you have the time and feel comfortable doing it yourself you should be able to. If it's your first header install maybe you can find someone local to give ya a hand?.....
Old 03-01-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Well, the main thing is, I know I can get the headers and the Y-pipe myself. I'm getting confused right at the end of the Y-pipe. I believe where the y comes together it's a 3" pipe. It has been sawzalled when it was taken off from it's old cat-back system( I suppose it was welded on). It doesn't have anything that would accomadate bolts or anything. I know that the TSP is supposed to be bolt on. Just kind of wondering how the intermediate pipe and the back of the Y hook up I suppose. That help?

Justin
Old 03-05-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unforgiven1
Well, the main thing is, I know I can get the headers and the Y-pipe myself. I'm getting confused right at the end of the Y-pipe. I believe where the y comes together it's a 3" pipe. It has been sawzalled when it was taken off from it's old cat-back system( I suppose it was welded on). It doesn't have anything that would accomadate bolts or anything. I know that the TSP is supposed to be bolt on. Just kind of wondering how the intermediate pipe and the back of the Y hook up I suppose. That help?

Justin
To answer your question about how they fit. They should slip fit together and then you can seal them with a band clamp. By slip fit, I mean that one of the pipes slides inside of the other with a little WD40 and then you use a band clamp to seal for no leaks.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
To answer your question about how they fit. They should slip fit together and then you can seal them with a band clamp. By slip fit, I mean that one of the pipes slides inside of the other with a little WD40 and then you use a band clamp to seal for no leaks.
Thanks for your response, I guess I'll see how it all comes together whenever I get the cat-back .

Justin