General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

gas pump clicks off early

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default gas pump clicks off early

having trouble searching for this, so it must not be a common problem...

the last 3-4 tanks of fuel i've put into my car stop pumping at around 80% full. if i try to restart it, it keeps clicking off unless i pull the nozzle out half way. at first i thought it was just the pumps at the gas station i was going to, but i tried going somewhere different and it still happens.

whats the deal with this? is my gas tank not venting properly or something? i dont think the filler neck is cracked because i do not see any fuel leaking on the ground when i fill it up.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno if it is really a filler neck problem. Do they have the vapor preventing pump nozzles in Dallas like they do in Houston? I have trouble with them getting a good seal and clicking off early at a lot of stations around here, and no trouble at others. But that usually is a problem when I start filling up, not so much as it gets near the end.

If you have the ones that are supposed to seal near you, try cleaning around the filler pipe where the cap connects. You might as well try to take a look at the filler pipe and make sure nothing strange is going on. I bet it is more pump related than a problem with your car, but stranger things have happened.