General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for?

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a trans am with the Ls1. Just some general information and what to look for on these cars when buyin one? Are there any sore spots i should try to keep my eye out for. I have been finding a lot on CL with transmission synic's bad to no 1-2 gears. Any helpful input on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know you can take the oil cap off and look at the underside of the oil cap. If it's super milky/watery then that could be a sign of a blown head gasket. But a tiny bit of milkyness (new word I made up?) is ok. If you start the car and white smoke billows out then stay away from that car as that is a sign of a blown head gasket as well.

Beyond that, I'm sure there will be several people to chime in that can give you more thorough advice Other than that, check for the basic things-how many miles are on the car, if the engine and/or transmission have every been rebuilt or replaced, any accidents, regular oil changes/services.

Good luck, those are great cars!

EDIT-looking at your signature you probably already know all of this information, so sorry if you thought I assumed that you didn't know anything-you probably know more than I do, lol
Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
EDIT-looking at your signature you probably already know all of this information, so sorry if you thought I assumed that you didn't know anything-you probably know more than I do, lol

Thanks!!! Any info is great. Unfortunately i already new that but hey i appreciate the reminder. LOL
Old 07-26-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for an M6, be aware that they are harder on the stock 10 bolt rears than the automatics are. Listen for gear whine, and be aware that the stock rear may have to be replaced down the road (for either transmission, but especially M6). AFAIK, mine is fine with over 90k miles on it....just something to remember.

One way to check engine condition is to take the oil filler cap off when the car is running, and put a light piece of paper that covers the cap over it. If it holds the paper down, it should mean you still have good compression....if it blows it off it means you have "blow by" and could mean your rings are worse for wear. Another thing to check.

Window motors in these cars are weak spots, if one car has poor power windows, it a common issue.

Few differences between years....'98-'00 cars had slightly larger cams, LS1 intake, and EGR. '01-'02 had slightly smaller cams (closer to the 5.3l truck motor cams AFAIK), but the LS6 intake and no EGR...along with better exhaust manifolds. '98 had a different ECM, which makes tuning a bit more difficult, but nothing an experienced tuner can't handle. Also, '98, '99-'00, and '01-02 had different head castings, but nothing majorly different between them, just progressively better castings. Finally, '98 had a steel gas tank, while '99-'02 had plastic tanks, which held slightly more fuel. Can't think of other big changes right now, but they all pretty much dyno the same, keep in mind: an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1, no matter the car/year/application. It's all pretty similar power wise and they're all upgradeable.

Just a few things off of the top of my head. Feel free to post about cars you look at, there's a lot of people who are really helpful on here.

EDIT: Also, if you look at one, take a cell phone pic of the RPO codes, or write them down. It helps a lot to determine what kind of options the car has installed on it!