Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowered my car can make stock 10bolt whine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered my car can make stock 10bolt whine?

I lowered my car about 5k miles ago, and now i think my rear end started making this noise starting at around 60mph and gradually gets louder with an increase in speed.

Do i need an adj tq arm to fix the pinion angle? i already have adj phb ready to be installed.

i hope my 10bolt is not going anyway, cause my car only has minor bolt ons with 323hp and 333tq.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Teching In

May not be your rear end, probably your tires. Could have developed tire feathering from lowering your vehicle and now you inherited a tire noise. Try driving with a different set of wheels to see if it will eliminate the noise.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Lowering the car will change up the pinion angle so it is a good possibility that the noise is coming from that. a quality adjustable torque arm will allow you to get the pinion angle back within spec. If you are interested in one shoot me a PM or give me a call here at the shop and I can price one out for you.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to say that your 10 bolt is dead but just so you're aware, stock power can definitely kill them.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 408camaroX2
May not be your rear end, probably your tires. Could have developed tire feathering from lowering your vehicle and now you inherited a tire noise. Try driving with a different set of wheels to see if it will eliminate the noise.
hmm, interesting! how do i go about to further investigate this matter?

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Lowering the car will change up the pinion angle so it is a good possibility that the noise is coming from that. a quality adjustable torque arm will allow you to get the pinion angle back within spec. If you are interested in one shoot me a PM or give me a call here at the shop and I can price one out for you.
I will do. Been wanting a good TQ arms for added rigidness feel.

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Not to say that your 10 bolt is dead but just so you're aware, stock power can definitely kill them.
Yes I am well aware of the issue, but I am still hoping my stock tiny 10bolt is still OK.

Another possibility that I am currently considering is my wheel bearings, given that the previous owner lives by the beach, salt might have corroded the bearings.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Lowering your car shouldn't cause your rear-end to go bad. My car has been lowered 2" since it was brand new. That's 14 years on the stock axle and no weird sounds coming from it.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos64030
Lowering your car shouldn't cause your rear-end to go bad. My car has been lowered 2" since it was brand new. That's 14 years on the stock axle and no weird sounds coming from it.
We are definitely not saying it will cause the rear end to go bad but could definitely create some more noise due to throwing the onion angle off. Every car is different and will do different things when modified.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Lowered my car can make stock 10bolt whine?