Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with tracking down misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with tracking down misfire

I recently bought a 98 Formula M6 with ~83k miles on it. Soon after I bough it the SES light started flashing. I plugged in my code scanner and it indicated a misifre on cylinder 5. The engine was completely stock when I bought it, including plugs and wires, so those were the first things I replaced. I put NGK TR-55s and MSD wires. Drove it around for a while after. Misfire still showed up. So I switched the coil between cylinder 1 and 5. It still misfired on cylinder 5. It only seems to happen after the car has warmed up for about half an hour, and I am cruising at 40+ mph. It has never happened under idle, low speed, or acceleration. It also doesn't feel any different when it happens. The only reason I can tell it's misfiring is because it's throwing the code. What else should I be checking to see what might be causing it?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blademan83
I recently bought a 98 Formula M6 with ~83k miles on it. Soon after I bough it the SES light started flashing. I plugged in my code scanner and it indicated a misifre on cylinder 5. The engine was completely stock when I bought it, including plugs and wires, so those were the first things I replaced. I put NGK TR-55s and MSD wires. Drove it around for a while after. Misfire still showed up. So I switched the coil between cylinder 1 and 5. It still misfired on cylinder 5. It only seems to happen after the car has warmed up for about half an hour, and I am cruising at 40+ mph. It has never happened under idle, low speed, or acceleration. It also doesn't feel any different when it happens. The only reason I can tell it's misfiring is because it's throwing the code. What else should I be checking to see what might be causing it?
Try switching the plug and wire also. You can also test the wires with an ohm meter. The spark plug may have been banged around. I got 2 bad ones the last time I did my plugs. Now I'm dealing with faulty O2's because of all the extra fuel dumped due to the misfire. Aargh!
Old 03-03-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blademan83
Do a leakdown test on #5 cyl and pray it has compression.........
Old 03-03-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possibly a bent push rod,but would do the leak down first