Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster 80

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flowmaster 80

I have Flowmaster 80 exhaust from when I bought the car, I bought it a year used. I have heard many remarks that they are no better than stock.

I would l;ike to know from LS1 owner that have had this or know of someone with same that said if they were better or worse or even better any real numbers.

I am prepraring for the track and do not want to have an exhaust holding me back but do not want to get cut outs. My budget is for my gear change and sub frame connector and tower brace. Eventually I hope to do true duals or at least a SLP Loudmouth.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Launching!

When I first bought my 99z it came w/ a flowmaster exhaust , I replaced it w/ Magnaflow before going to GMMG, and it seemed to free up alot. Another 2 mph in the 1/4
There have also been posts with flow tests and yeah, I think flowmaster wasn't any better than stock. You didn't say if it was a muffler or cat-back, if its just a muffler, and you don't want to spend the money on a cat-back, then just buy a direct-fit muffler. I think Borla just came out w/ one.
Good Luck
Old 03-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

When I bought my 98 SS Iit had a flowmaster 80 series in it. I personally wanted a much louder exhaust note and a more free flowing exhaust. The flowmasters have a lot of baffles in them = very restrictive. I went from that to Kooks long tubes, catted y-pipe and SLP LM. I can tell you that i am much happier now. there are other problems with flowmasters too, they rust ...Its a cheap quick fix if you want a little better than stock. MY opinion is go for the LM & don't look back....
Old 03-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Teching In

I bought my 01 SS stock. Just put the 80 Series on it and I noticed a difference. It wasn't huge but it was there!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SStella
I bought my 01 SS stock. Just put the 80 Series on it and I noticed a difference. It wasn't huge but it was there!
Dyno??? Track Times??? You are saying the Flowmaster made a difference on your car? What are you gauging this on. Someone might put a flowmaster on their car based on your recomendation.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say I didn't notice any difference when I went with a Flowmaster muffler from my stock Z28 muffler when I first got my car... I noticed a nice difference in exhaust tone, but no real performance difference. I did, however, feel a difference with my exhaust cutout when I had that...

I'm just happy I moved on to LTs and a full catback exhaust...
Old 03-03-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

It is a Cat back and in 2 years it has rusted quite a bit.
Since I have not had it with stock exhaust I would not be able to tell any difference.
It will have to go by next year.
I keep leaning towards the SLP Y pipe and SLP loudmouth unless I find someone I trust to bend me some pipe to over the axles for a nice price for true duals.