Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

383 sbc to turbocharged 5.3 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 383 sbc to turbocharged 5.3 swap questions

I've decided to put my s10 back under the knife. As much as I love the loud, rumbling, loping obnoxiousness of my small block, I think I'd rather have a well-mannered, streetable, and efficient powerplant. I would like to leave the motor completely stock, aside from turbocharging it. My goal for this is to put 500hp to the wheels, which seems very reasonable after reading up a bit on other people's builds. My first questions are in regards to the fuel system.
1- Is my -8 feed line sufficient?
2- Recommended return line size?
3- My cell does not have a return port, can I just mount a bulkhead on the upper corner? It's a plastic cell, so it would be easy to drill a hole and install one.
4- Pressure regulator- are you guys using the stock units, or plumbing in something aftermarket?

Some turbocharger recommendations would be very helpful to guide my research. It will be a street truck, and I'd like to see 500 to the wheels. What factors must be considered when choosing? I picked up a copy of Corky Bell's "Maximum Boost", and I'm still reading it. Your opinions would be very helpful at this point.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but many have already been answered in other threads around here so maybe not. Here are a few pics of what I'm working with, may start tearing into it this weekend. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Bumpski!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice truck, what mirrors are those? They look cool. I'd like to get a set for my project truck.
Thanks,
Kory
Old 08-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Thank you. I think they're a brand called street scene. I didn't buy them new, so I'm not sure where they were bought from. Should be pretty easy to find though, it's a common enough vehicle!

Quick Reply: 383 sbc to turbocharged 5.3 swap questions