General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

why L99 and not ls3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default why L99 and not ls3?

how come the fifth gens had to use an L99 for there autos and ls3 for 6 speeds? whats the difference between the motors? idlike to know displacement differences and hp numbers if possible......also just any other differences. thanks
Old 08-13-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the L99 has DOD/AFM(displacement on demand) to "prevent" gas guzzler tax. L99 is basically a detuned LS3 with a rating of 400hp. some other differences are VVT, lower lift cam, lifters and a few other things that i can't think of off the top of my head
Old 08-13-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JHL88
the L99 has DOD/AFM(displacement on demand) to "prevent" gas guzzler tax. L99 is basically a detuned LS3 with a rating of 400hp. some other differences are VVT, lower lift cam, lifters and a few other things that i can't think of off the top of my head
hmmmmm ok thanks
Old 11-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Talking Here's your answer!

Originally Posted by Floorman279
how come the fifth gens had to use an L99 for there autos and ls3 for 6 speeds? whats the difference between the motors? idlike to know displacement differences and hp numbers if possible......also just any other differences. thanks
I found this article here on GMHighTechPerformance.com. I think it pretty much sums up your question. It also goes into detail about the HP and displacement specs. Basically the L99 has active fuel management and the LS3 doesnt. It will tell you everything you'd like to know though. It states:

"Active Fuel Management is a welcome addition for the Camaro, but this begs the question: Why only the automatic? Couldn't engineers incorporate this technology into manual-equipped cars as well? "When switching from 8- to 4-cylinder mode (or vice versa), there are some transitions that you have to deal with," explains Rydzewski. "Typically, a good way to do this is by using a torque converter. The ability to control the slip of the torque converter [via the torque converter clutch] is a big enabler in getting good transitions. The whole thought behind having AFM is, you don't want to have interruptions; you want it as seamless as possible." In other words, GM doesn't want to repeat the mistakes made with the 1981 V-8-6-4 Cadillacs, which often exhibited noticeable hesitations when switching cylinder modes (hence the technology only being offered for one model year). Nevertheless, we were told AFM could be implemented on a manual, and that GM actually is looking into it. But because a manual transmission's clutch is a straight coupling (and one that is hydraulically actuated only by the driver), it is not as adept at damping the slight drivetrain vibrations that occur during AFM activation/deactivation."

Quick Reply: why L99 and not ls3?