Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 GTO to F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 GTO to F-Body

Need help converting a T-56 to the F-Body shifter location. I'm about to pick up a T-56 that is from GTO. I'm doing a E36 M3 swap with an LS6. For this car I need the shifter in the F-Body location. I'm under the impression this involves two parts. Is this correct? Could someone post part numbers? I'm sticking with the GTO bell house, so no issue there.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Unbolt the 4 bolts holding the shifter on and underneath is the shifter pivot cup. There is a roll pin holding it in, take a small punch or drill bit and punch it out and remove it. Then replace it with an f body style shifter cup(shorter). You can hunt around on this site for someone parting out thier t56's. Or I can pm you a site that carries them as it's a non sponsor. They are usually ~$20ish.

Im sure you may be already aware but you will need the gto starter as well if you use the gto bellhousing.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but you will need the f body shifter also.

Last edited by MR_M; 08-15-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MR_M
Unbolt the 4 bolts holding the shifter on and underneath is the shifter pivot cup. There is a roll pin holding it in, take a small punch or drill bit and punch it out and remove it. Then replace it with an f body style shifter cup(shorter). You can hunt around on this site for someone parting out thier t56's. Or I can pm you a site that carries them as it's a non sponsor. They are usually ~$20ish.

Im sure you may be already aware but you will need the gto starter as well if you use the gto bellhousing.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but you will need the f body shifter also.
Thanks.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is that all that's needed to put a GTO T-56 into a F-Body?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Yes, the shifter, shifter cup, and bellhousing/ starter are the only differences. The slave has a different fitting for the different gto line, but you shouldn't re-use those anyway. Output shaft works fine for the stock driveshaft.

Quick Reply: T-56 GTO to F-Body