Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nylon fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nylon fuel line

I have a 4.8 vortec engine. Can I run nylon fuel line from the tank to the engine?

I plan on buying the Dorman kit if it ends up being cheaper
Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You were putting that in a full size B-Body right? If thats the case I would look for a 94-96 caprice/impala/roadmaster LT1 car in the junkyard. The plastic fuel tank should bolt right in (Grab the upper mount for the filler neck and tack weld it to your body). The fuel pump should be upgraded but it will feed the 4.8 for a little while if your short on $$. Grab the plastic fuel lines too as they should be the correct length and have the bends in the correct places.

Thats what we did on my brothers 1978 buick electra. Easiest EFI fuel system swap ever.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Launching!

Of course you can run nylon lines.

All modern Ford, Chrysler, GM vehicles have been using nylon lines for over a decade. GM's Dave Reed just retired in 2008 and he wrote his thesis on Nylon fuel lines in the 1960's. He won a lifetime achievement award for his work in plastics in the auto industry. http://speautomotive.com/pdfs/11%20F...t%20Winner.pdf

I just realized this myself and bought the Dorman 800-300 kit off Advanced Auto parts for $190 and used the $50 off coupon code "VISA". So I paid $149 with tax and free shipping.

BTW I tried it out, and I'm so glad I bought the kit. Fittings go on like a hot knife in butter. After realizing the Dorman fuel connectors are only $2 a piece, it really makes absolutely NO SENSE to spend $15 a piece or more on Russell or Earls AN fittings. $2 VS $15 each. Hmmm....... Plus no more monkeying around with hard line bends and cursing under the car trying to shove it through places.

If you want over 700hp drag car, look elsewhere though. They only go up to 3/8" fuel line.

Last edited by Aceshigh; 08-16-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Launching!

G-body, yes actually was a D-body but prettymuch the same. I already have the tank but no filler neck. Hopefully I can make mine fit. I would like to take care of that during this week-end. I'll see around if there are any B-bodies of these years close to my house.

Aceshigh, I just wasn't sure if I can run nylon lines the whole length of the car or there is a limit in length that you would have to respect. I was thinking of that dorman kit also. And no 700 HP in my car. Way too much money for that. I just want an old Cadillac that is a bit more up to date compared with the other cars.

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: nylon fuel line