Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Conversion--81 TA

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Conversion--81 TA

Just made a deal on a 98 Trans Am LS1 - 4L60E drop out with harness, ECM and drive accessories for $1500. Was this a good buy and what issues will I encounter since it is not a 99 or up LS. Will the oil pan work on my 81 and the accessories without modification. Will it need to be retuned since I will have complete drop out or will it fire up? Or should I get a 99 and up ECM and harness? would hate to spend the extra bucks if it works as is...this needs to be a budget build. Thought of using corvette filter and regulator and external fuel pump. Can't wait to remove the 301 boat anchor and get some real power and no more cold nature starts. Lastly what motor mounts work without modification.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Launching!

well sounds like a good buy to me.... if you get a standalone harness, and swap the few sensors for the newer ones no worries, or you can keep the 98 stuff, and just get vats disaabled, as well as the emission stuff...

Oil pan will be perfect.... in fact im trying to buy one for my 79..... the fuel system you mentioned will work... I run in tank setup on mine....

as far as plates, get the chevy clamshell mounts, and the carshop plates, then the chevy engine side clamshell buckets... bolts right in..... also gotta move your crossmember... and shorten the driveshaft.....
Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

what fuel setup did you use,,also will the stock radiator work and what fans will mount in there if it will?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Launching!

I used a tanksinc setup.... if I had to do it again I would use a factory f body pump assembly with bucket.... where I did the fuel pump install I didnt have to cut the floors.... just around 1/4 of a tank it stumbles.... stock radiator works just fine just have to get an adapter for the hose.... and I am using the stock f body fans.....fits perfect...

Quick Reply: New Conversion--81 TA