Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my crankshaft no good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my crankshaft no good?

hey everyone, im fixing a blown headgasket and upgrading my car while im at, see sig for details.....i took off my timing cover today to remove the oil pump and timing chain. while looking around and inspecting what i could i noticed that my crankshaft seems really worn/scratched on a portion i can see....the pics are a little blurry but you can definitely see the worn/scratches im refering to. the car has a small cam, comps 212/218 the previous owner installed, he also said he had the motor rebuilt but i never believe people when they say that, but........after removing timing cover and seeing the oil pan gasket looks new and the oil pick up tube looks new aswell im starting to wonder if maybe he really did have it rebuilt.......then i saw the wear marks that are in these pics and im wondering if someone messed up? is this normal? the engine didnt knock or anything prior to the teardown, it just had the blown headgasket. there was a little bit of metal shaving on the oil plug but i contributed that to the new cam.....it has barely been broken in.
Attached Thumbnails Is my crankshaft no good?-oil-pump-scratched-crankshaft-001.jpg   Is my crankshaft no good?-oil-pump-scratched-crankshaft-002.jpg   Is my crankshaft no good?-oil-pump-scratched-crankshaft-003.jpg   Is my crankshaft no good?-oil-pump-scratched-crankshaft-004.jpg  
Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no no!!! your fine! that is the bob weight on your crank shaft! they are machined down and that is how it looks from the factory...

your bearing area is the only thing that wears on your crankshaft!

Just to make you feel even better here is a pic of my 370 motor and you can see the marks on the crank
Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks mattsapp!!!! i was like seeing that really puts me at ease

thank you,
gino
Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Internet Mechanic

Yea, I was about to say.... As long as you did not drive around with milkshake in the oil pan you should be fine.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 PM
9 Second Club

No prob!! I know that pain in the bottom of your stomach when you think something major is wrong! Glad I could help clear it up for you!!

Matt