Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 5.3 need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 5.3 need help

i just got a 2006 5.3 out of a truck with only 50K on the clock...

its going in a 96 rcsb truck with the stock 5speed. what i need is some info on a cam and some bolt on stuff. i plan to go with a LW flywheel to help it rev faster and been it's SFI is good on my feet lol. im setting the truck up to do a lil road racing so power is a must!! as of right now i plan to swap cams, valve springs, oil pump, rockers (maybe), long tube headers, custom tune..

i will soon be putting a t56 in the truck with 4.56 gears in place of the 4.10's im not sure what heads are on it, till it gets here in the morning.

also what intake should i put on the motor? leave the truck intake on or go with a car? if so whats the best stock intake till i can save for a FAST..

thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 02:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Truck intake is going to make good low and midrange.....good for towing and hauling but bad for racing IMO. I would look into a used LS6, as it would be the best bang for your buck. Can't give you any cam recommendations without knowing what kind of powerband you are looking for and how much street-ability you are wanting to keep. For headers I'd say 1 3/4 is a must but 1 7/8ths (if available) would be better.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:22 AM
Teching In

the truck will be used to drive around on the street some. im not to worried about street manners.. the choppy idle dont bother me but i do what good bottom end and power up to 6500rpm's.. also i will be pulling the pan to put the F-body oil pan on can i put ARP rod bolt in with out having a problem? ive built alot of old school SB but this is my first LS motor ive jacked with...

this is the cam i was looking at
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1093&sb=2

so the LS6 will be a drop on intake?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stroker52
the truck will be used to drive around on the street some. im not to worried about street manners.. the choppy idle dont bother me but i do what good bottom end and power up to 6500rpm's.. also i will be pulling the pan to put the F-body oil pan on can i put ARP rod bolt in with out having a problem? ive built alot of old school SB but this is my first LS motor ive jacked with...

this is the cam i was looking at
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1093&sb=2

so the LS6 will be a drop on intake?
yeah the ls6 mani will bolt right up, but you will need to run car accessories on the front of the motor because the ls6 opening will sit 3-4" lower than the truck mani.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ballerado
yeah the ls6 mani will bolt right up, but you will need to run car accessories on the front of the motor because the ls6 opening will sit 3-4" lower than the truck mani.
ok... what will be the HP and TQ trade off? i know the truck makes more bottom end but am i just looking at 10 to 15hp with the LS6 intake over the truck?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need car accessories to clear the intake just a idler relocation bracket. They habe then at dirty dingo.com you will need either ls1 or ls6 injectors to for the intake. Or have to buy adaptors for the injectors. s10forum.com is a wealth of info. Go under lsx discussion.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The truck water outlet will run into the ls6 intake so if You're good with tools You could relocate it to the untapped location on the truck pump or get the car accessories , water pump , power steering pump and related brackets . There was a guy who was building a 5.3 for a 70' El Camino in the conversion section that relocated the water outlet to facing forward location .