General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Does e85 lower tailpipe emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does e85 lower tailpipe emissions?

Has anyone done back to back testing with a sniffer to see if e85 lowers tailpipe emissions?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One issue I see is most cars when trying to pass a roller emission test needs to test one fuel, remove fuel, put in E85, reset the PCM, get drive cycles and a few tanks into the car and allow the PCM to adjust and retest. Since has different properties and tolerences the PCM may need to tweeking too.

Would you see a diff if you swapped fuels, and did none of the above, probably but just as a FYI with some Roller Emissions testing stations here in the US. Is at some dealerships, other mechanics swapping fuel filter near the station have been known to throw off the machine so if you were to do it, I would suggest doing it farther away.

IMO too many varibles to say which would be lower. I do know throwing a bottle or 2 or rubbing alcohol will lower CO2 and HC and raise NOX a little but very helpful in passing these sometims PITA emission test.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will likely test it out once I do it since I have access to a smog machine. I was trying to figure if I could go with a bigger cam and pass CA emissions if I used e85 compared to 91.

Quick Reply: Does e85 lower tailpipe emissions?