Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Engine build, Gaskets and bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine build, Gaskets and bolts

So I'm having a shortblock built for my 06 GTO and it's getting close to being shipped. I'm trying to assemble all the little odds and ends, small parts, etc to assemble the engine. What are the gaskets I can reuse and what are best to replace? Are there any bolts that I should replace with ARP; flywheel, clutch, camgear, etc? I am going to be using ARP head studs even tho I'm staying N/A.

My setup will be: LS2 based 421 shortblock built by ERL, AFR 230v2 62cc big bore, Vengeance ported 102 FAST, PatG spec'd cam 243/247, YT 1.7's, 1.75 kooks.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will just go out on a limb and say replace the cam plate if you haven't built a ton of these motors and know whats acceptable as far as how compressed the o-ring is on a used cam plate. Almost every gasket on these motors is re-usable as long as the o-ring isnt too flat or cut/tore. May as well do the front/rear main seals as well while the covers are off, they're cheap. Also if you're using the new style cam plate with the torx head (use new bolts) which i assume you are, put some kind of nice grease/lube behind the head before you torque them and dont over tighten whatever you do. They are a bitch to get off without that.

Btw sounds like a nasty build.

Last edited by JS01; 08-29-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Hardware....

Use ARP in all the parts you mentioned, and on the cam sprocket bolts, use blue thread sealer, on the rear oil gallery cover use Edelbrock gasgacinch removable glue to help insure oil pressure retention there, as well as the front cam plate, before installing the cam, apply high pressure wheel bearing grease between on the cam and plate.
On the front and rear engine covers, the bolts go thru the block to the oil splashing interior, so need to use thread sealer there, on all the cover bolts.
Be sure to install the left rear oil gallery oil restrictor plug, before you install the rear engine cover.
must seal the heads of the side main caps bolts as they will leak oil thru, just apply thread sealer on the heads.
Use gasgacinch on the oil pan gasket around the oil o ring leading to the oil filter.
I reuse all my gaskets, except the front and rear crank seals, unless they are less than 3k miles on them.
You must know the transmission mating surface area on to the block must be clear of oil pan intrusion in to its area, ideally oil pan will be exactly flush.

Quick Reply: Engine build, Gaskets and bolts