truck question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default truck question

i have an 02 silverado 1500 ecsb with 185k on them and i noticed that the rear leaf springs are tired, the 3rd or 4th spring that is only supposed to touch the other springs when loaded down and with my bed empty it is nearly fully engaged. so i've been looking at a bunch of websites that sell leaf springs but none of the sites really convince me that they are made of quality. i want a spring that is going to handle the weight of my car or what ever other car/van/truck i have to tow. does anyone know of a place to get a good set of leaf springs that can handle weight but still keep a decent ride quality. i know it's not going to ride smooth but i mean it's a truck. i have 2" spring spacers in the front, 285 bfg LRE's, and bilstein HD's (incase yall are wondering what the set up is) any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
i have an 02 silverado 1500 ecsb with 185k on them and i noticed that the rear leaf springs are tired, the 3rd or 4th spring that is only supposed to touch the other springs when loaded down and with my bed empty it is nearly fully engaged. so i've been looking at a bunch of websites that sell leaf springs but none of the sites really convince me that they are made of quality. i want a spring that is going to handle the weight of my car or what ever other car/van/truck i have to tow. does anyone know of a place to get a good set of leaf springs that can handle weight but still keep a decent ride quality. i know it's not going to ride smooth but i mean it's a truck. i have 2" spring spacers in the front, 285 bfg LRE's, and bilstein HD's (incase yall are wondering what the set up is) any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Maybe try pulling a set of leafs off of an HD? And not to de-rail from your topic but, with that 2" spacer to level the front, did you have to get a longer shock or no?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballerado
Maybe try pulling a set of leafs off of an HD?
That would be my suggestion. I have an 01 2500 HD, and the leaf springs are pretty beefy. Not the best ride, but not horrible either. I'm not sure if they're directly interchangeable though.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ballerado
Maybe try pulling a set of leafs off of an HD? And not to de-rail from your topic but, with that 2" spacer to level the front, did you have to get a longer shock or no?
no, they said that you can use the stock length shock, i mean i dont do any hardcore off roading to where my suspension has to articulate that much so they have worked for me. between the spacer and the taller tires it increased my ground clearence by a lot.

that is not a bad idea, only thing is i dont want them to be all that worn either cause then i would be in the same exact situation but i will def look into that.

Originally Posted by Spartan7
That would be my suggestion. I have an 01 2500 HD, and the leaf springs are pretty beefy. Not the best ride, but not horrible either. I'm not sure if they're directly interchangeable though.
yeah im going to have to check into that for sure, cause that would solve my towing problems. for instance i was going to tow my g/f sisters minivan and its squated my truck like crazy and it made my truck look like a *****. i have the power to pull it just the springs make it look like it doesnt. lol they are just tired i've towed a lot of **** in the past 100k the first 85k didnt see a trailer at all.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Maybe after you get new springs try adding air bags too. I know a few people that use them to help when pulling their boats.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94fixerTA
Maybe after you get new springs try adding air bags too. I know a few people that use them to help when pulling their boats.
yeah i have always wanted them just never got around to buying them. The only thing is it seems when adding air when you tow would just be a hassle, i would love to have the full system with the compressor mounted under the truck. They have a lot of cool **** now, like kits that automatically level the truck out when you load it down. But thats like $1500-2k