Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New car...new concept

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New car...new concept

How goes it guys

I just picked up a new car - well new to me - a '99 Trans Am. The previous owner set it up for drag racing and I'm wanting to make it more of an 'all around' machine. I'll race it some, but it will be primarily a street driver and I want to enjoy it and have it handle decently. The changes I made to the car since buying it earlier this month were selling off the Summit Star prostar knock off drag wheels/tires, and the stock wheels/tires that he included with the car.

Here's the rundown of the car as it sits:

Dart 205 heads
Comp custom 238/242 605/610 113+4 cam
LS6 intake w Jantzer ported tb
25% ud crank pulley
Stainless long tube headers, stainless ORY
Hooker muffler
Built 4L60E with Vigilante 3600 stall
Spohn extreme duty drive shaft
Moser 12 bolt w/HD posi 3.73 ratio.
UMI tunnel mount torque arm
UMI adj pan hard bar
BMR adj lower control arms
UMI boxed sfc's
UMI stb

I ordered a pair of 17x7 Billet Specialties Street Lites for the fronts, and plan on ordering some 17x11 rears soon. Are the 17x7 wheels really going to hurt handling? I like how they look on these cars and they were on sale haha.

Next piece to the puzzle is sell the 12 bolt and spohn driveshaft to help cover the cost of the rear wheels/tires and suspension. A friend of mine has a set of Koni 4/4s he's selling me, and another friend has a NIB set of Strano springs he's parting with that I'm going to pick up. I'm tossing around the idea of putting the strano hollow swaybars on the car, but I keep reverting back to the 17x7 front wheels and the automatic trans in the car. I just want the car to be a comfortable (when I say comfortable I'm referring to my original plan of QA1s - not comfortable), fun street car that I can drive the snot out of, take corners when I want to, but just enjoy driving it daily.

Is there anything on the list I should part with and change to something different? How much difference will I see with the Strano swaybars if I'm not trying to build an all out cornering beast?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts

With narrow tires on the front, much wider wheels on the back, and a heavier 12 bolt rear axle, the car will push (understeer). Are the BMR lower control arms poly/poly, poly/rod, or rod/rod?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
With narrow tires on the front, much wider wheels on the back, and a heavier 12 bolt rear axle, the car will push (understeer). Are the BMR lower control arms poly/poly, poly/rod, or rod/rod?
The 12 bolt is being sold and a stock 10 bolt will be in its place. The BMR stuff is all poly bushings
Old 08-29-2011, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Just in case I didn't make it clear, the order of thought on this car went like this:

Bought drag focused car ---> keep that focus while maintaining streetability ---> go with streetlites because they're my favorite wheel for these cars and I like how the 17x7s look up front ---> get deal from friend on konis ---> get deal from friend on Strano springs

Do I focus the changes made to the car for handling or make more changes to accommodate the new idea of building something more 'all around'. That's the crossroads I'm at and I'm wondering if spending money on the swaybars will even matter in this case considering what the rest of the car will be comprised of

Quick Reply: New car...new concept